Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just installed the GL1500 version of the JMCB-2003 (CB Radio) on the bike.

when I turned it on, the cb went into Transmitt

So went back and did some elimination work

Unplugged CB from radio and rear audio connection

Everything went back to normal

when I plugged the CB into the radio, no problem - yet

when I plugged the rear audio connection in, with out the pigtail, then the CB goes into transmit.

Any ideas of what the problem is????

Thanks in advance for all the help

This has got me stumped:?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I think this is one for Wayne (that is his forum name too)... give him a PM for help..

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Wayne is the Man!!!!!

Seems I missed the part in the instructions that those plugs only get used if you have the pax tx button installed.
Problem solved.
Now to figure out why it only has 2 watts of RF output???

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

What are you measuring the power with?? Unless you have an expensive power meter (like a Bird), what you measure is voltage that is calibrated into a perfect 50 ohm resistive load.. If your SWR is off (even a little), those inexpensive meters do not properly read power... anyway, there is really little difference on the received end between 2 and 4 watts... 1/2 S unit.. wouldn't worry about it.. just get the SWR as good as you can...

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Not a cheap RS meter, Welz sp15m
Wayne came through again and added that the radio has to have 13.8 vdc to make rated power, normaly at 2k or better.
I got 3 watts at 3k.
SWR=1.2
power forward = 3.0
power Reflected = 0.1

Under the circumstances, it is what it is, and at least now will be able to talk to other bikes on some Rhino Runs.

Thanks to Wayne for his prompt reply and great advice.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

What are we gonna do now if we cant talk about why your brake lights are on for 30 miles Scott? LOL

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

I kind of get on the pulpit when it comes to CB wattage. Wattage does not talk on an AM CB, it is modulation. I set up 1000's of CB radios for truckers at 2 watts and 90%+ modulation, which achieved 12 to 20 watts peak output. A GL1500 is real hard to get good modulation on due to the mic is pre-amplified in the audio unit before going to the CB and if the modulation is set too high it causes feedback when listening to stereo on external speakers. So on the bench, testing the CB only, the modulation is much lower. A high output, low noise, dynamic mic is necessary to achieve good output on all Honda motorcycle CB radios. Newer CB radios for other makes use an electrec condenser mic, HD, VIctory, BMP, Kawasaki, and J&M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.