Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

This might seem a stupid question but here goes

I have an 82 1100 interstate (non anti-dive forks) and I have noticed that I sometimes get a 'clunk' from the front end when I go over a bump and the front wheel extends fully (not on compression but extension)
the front fork were rebuilt in 2011 and this has happened before and since the rebuild, my thoughts were perhaps there was a problem with the amount of oil in the forks but I dont really know

Anyone come across this problem (or maybe its normal) and sorted it

Many thanks in anticipation

Rob

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
Are the rebound springs in place under the oil piston?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Try the head bearings and check for slack.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
Either the oil level is too low or the rebound springs are not in the right place or not there at all.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
if there is a low oil(ATF actually) level issue you can generally see it by "bouncing" the front end... eliminate air pressure in forks, roll along at about 20-25mph then pump the front brake. You should probably not have to hit the brakes hard to get the forks to bottom if you are low on oil in one fork. You will also see them bounce back up quickly like a pogo stick... the fluid should be dampening the motion in both directions.

It would be nice if you had a tell-tale oil leak but since you did not mention it I assume that is not the case. If you decide to refill just pull the drain bolt (watch for seal washer) then GENTLY depress front forks... fluid will fly out 4-5ft if you push hard/quickly enough. 10-12 pumps should clear most of the fluid out. Allow to drool for a bit then refill according to book ... slightly less amount than if forks are rebuilt.

Don't forget the top bolt is under spring pressure... it can be dangerous if unscrewed without taking precautions. Make absolutely sure front forks are fully extended before unscrewing. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the ideas keep them coming please
I am not having any problems with leaks or the forks bottoming it feels more like the forks snapping to full extention if the front wheel 'bounces' clear of the ground over certain bumps
My thinking was that I had not put enough oil in when I rebuilt them and wondered if that would cause my problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.