Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a GL1100i and am having a problem with cooling fan. It does not come on when heating up in traffic. The biker cools fine when running. I tried connecting juice directly to the fan and it does come on but the wires overheat.

I also had another fan, tried it and the same result.

Tried connections directly from the battery (melted wires) as well as connecting to the fuse block with a switch inline (blew main fuse by battery).

I did get the fan to come on when connected to another switch that runs my fog lights but ALL lights dimmed badly when turned on.

:(

HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

hate to say it but----i think you`ve a couple bad fan motors.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well, tore in to the problem myself after paying a "professional mechanic" to look at it and getting no where. I tied the electrical wiring from the fan directly in to wiring I use for my fog lights and presto! My fan works fine.

I will have to add an additional switch to separate the fan from the fog lights, but that should be no big deal. Biggest problem is I pulled something loose when getting to the wiring and now my heat gauge is not working. Should be easy to fix if I can find where it pulled apart.

If it isn't one thing it's another!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I would recommend against a toggle switch for the fan, but, if bad, spend the $$'s and replace the switch at the engine.... by using a toggle, you either run the fan too much, or, even worse forget to turn it on

the system is designed to allow the engine to heat to a certain operating range, and then cool back to the range automatically

stay away from "replacment" thermo switches, they usually do not work within the right range

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

The fan thermostatic switch is very close to the temperature sending unit, so while you are down there repairing the wires/plugs to the sending unit why don't you replace the fan switch? It isn't that expensive, andwill take the "what if" factor from the manual switching systemyou have now. Overheatingis not something these engines do well, and could easily cost you a head gasket or worse.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem this past summer ('82 Aspencade). I found out that my engine runs cool and the fan will turn on after the temp. gauge heats a bit higher than I thought it should. Did your fan come on at all before you wired it into the fog lights? Maybe it was working??????

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
imported post

RB,
I would strongly suggest doing a current draw test on that fan motor. If you are melting wires, and blowing a 30 amp slow-blow fuse (the circuit breaker by the battery) then those fans are drawing WAY too much current! U can do this one of two ways...but, the way I would recommend doing it is to go to a local parts store, have them hook their equipment up to the bike like they are going to check the battery. Then have them put the current probe around the positive wire of the fan. Tell them NOT to test the battery....and just turn the fan on. Watch the amp guage on the machine and see how many amps the fan is pulling. If you have it wired through a relay, then this test may not work accurately....but it will give you a good idea.... Those fans shouldn't pull more than 10 amps MAX!!!! If they are, then they are bad! Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I have got a new cooling tube assembly (used actually) and plan to replace this which includes the thermal switch when I do the tear down this winter. I just needed a way to kick the fan on when I get caught in traffic until then.

The old girl runs fine, nice and cool as long as I'm moving along. Just a problem when stuck in traffic.

Plan on new timing belts, fix the thermal switch\fan, replace valve covers, replace speedo cable, replace forks, working on adding adjustable air-ride from Aspy and a repaint. She should be a fine looking and running lady by then.

Thanks for the comments and ideas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.