Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading home and 30 miles away my bike starts running poorly. Idle dropped way down, acceleration from stop late and sluggish with hesitation and lack of power, definite change in the exhaust sound like when you get a vacuum leak, vacuum leak sound from engine area and the bike wasn't smooth, it had a little shake or vibration.

The low fuel light had started to glow and thoughts of the pump went through my mind or was that candy canes through the dollar signs. Made it to the gas station refueled, started it back up and same thing. Jacked up the idle a little to keep from stalling, continuing on my way. A little while later the RPM's started to hang at 2k RPM's along with the other problems. Made it home on the poorly running bike.

You aint doing nothing on the 1500 without stripping plastic. Seat, shelter, covers, inner and lower fairings, air cleaner top and filter off 30 mins. later. Start the bike up and it is purring like a kitten with the idle at 1200. Drop the idle to 850 crack the throttle a couple of times, running great.:?

Crack the throttle a couple more times slide action good and equal opening maybe 1/4-1/2 inch with not going over 2k RPM. I thought to myself no way this bike is going back together until the problem or cause is found I got to go to Laconia monday for a turn and burn. Shut the engine off.

Opening the left slide with my finger nice and smooth, go the the right and WHOA it hangs up twice while sliding it open. Spray some silicone and a little brake cleaner on it moves good now with no hanging. HOWEVER, when opening the right slide 1/2 inch and releasing and after it closes there is a distinct springy twang sound for a couple of moments which the left slide doesn't do, no noise from that side.

In the light of the day tomorrow will be pulling the carbs and popping the cap on that side to look for problems. Will post pics if I find anything.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I'll be watching this one.

I've had my carbs off the manifold boots but never went any further into them. I hope to learn something if you have to take them apart..

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on my ride.

I did end up yanking the carbs last night and pulled the problem slide looking all over for any sign of a problem. It looked great, cleaned the bore and reinstalled. Pulled the other side in case I was missing something, same deal back together. Put the plastic back on and went for a road test.

Was working fine and noticed the RPM's were hanging just a little when shifting on the last part towards home. This happened to me once before in sub 32 degree weather when I back off the throttle to shift it hangs at the RPM for a few seconds before dropping. Whatever RPM I shifted at in that weather it sticks before dropping and it is not any linkage problem, I think it is one of the many systems that act on the carbs. This reminds me of the cars I used to work on where one lousy little check valve can cause a cascading effect for other systems. AND THE FACT IT DOESN"T DO IT ALL THE TIME sucks even more which makes it even harder to find.

Went for a second road test and it runs like a gazelle with plenty of power but the idle seems just a bit off, can't exactly describe but it doesn't seem like the bike I knew last year.

Maybe the oil company slipped a little more something into my gas this season? Wouldn't be the first time.:rolleyes:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I would suspect the gas too. Maybe run some TC-W3 2 stroke oil in the gas, that'll lube the carbs some and helps counteract the ethanol garbage.

Are the throttle cables sticking? Have you lubed the cables this year?

Give a holler on you way up to Laconia, I'm in Somerswoth NH if you are heading up 95 to route 16/4, just off the 16 with my new 08 ride at my sister's. I'll PM my number

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...Opening the left slide with my finger nice and smooth, go the the right and WHOA it hangs up twice while sliding it open. Spray some silicone and a little brake cleaner on it moves good now with no hanging...
I did similar, to fix an occasional sticky slide... Never found out what caused it to stick, but adding some graphite spray lube fixed it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.