Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

hello everyone new to site thank you for letting me in, have question, recently purchaced 1100 goldwing and wanted to change oil but old owner has bolt all mard up and can't get bolt out any ideas??? thanx in advance ron

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Have you tried a 6-point socket. I have know of several bolts being rounded off and a 12-point socket would just strip but a 6-point socket would turn the bolt out. Other than that, apply some heat to the bolt, that always makes things come loose easier.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I had one like that. I used a pair of Vise grips to get it out. I took the old bolt to Honda, and purchased a new one.
Good Luck,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

which bolt ? oil drain or oil filter?

either one you can get vice gripes or a small pipe wrench on. good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I believe he is refering to the bottom oil drain bolt. Either way, a good pair of Vice Grips will work. Just make sure they are TIGHT, so you will not slip and strip.
Sincerely,
David

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

to loosen either bolt (as you face it) turn it counter clock wise.

might help if the engine was warmed up good. just watch out for hot oil.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Dremel a screwdriver slot in the face of the bolt, and then use an impact driver to loosen.......

if the bolt face is too gnarly for that, have a welder tack on another bolt to the face of the original, use a high point socket to get it off.......

If it is the filter basket bolt that's bad, consider an aftermarket kit to allow you the use of spin-on auto filters. I got one of those once to replace a bolt that I had cross-threaded. Rivco used to make it, don't know if they still do.....

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
imported post

Randakks makes one, aluminum instead of stainless.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

often a 6 pt. wrench held with tension in loosening direction and tapping wrench/bolt w/ hammer will allow movement. good luck:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

plainmech wrote:
often a 6 pt. wrench held with tension in loosening direction and tapping wrench/bolt w/ hammer will allow movement. good luck:action::waving:
QUITE RIGHT, worked for me too.

Tapping the BOLT head sends shockwaves throughout the bolt, sorta like tapping a NEW JAR of pickles that won't budge.

If the bolt head looses it's shape file it to the next smaller sizeand grease everything that makes contact. I use Vasalene, it don't creep on surfaces like reg. grease.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

backaboard wrote:
hello everyone new to site thank you for letting me in, have question, recently purchaced 1100 goldwing and wanted to change oil but old owner has bolt all mard up and can't get bolt out any ideas??? thanx in advance ron
Ron, I may have a spare basket bolt around here, if you dont want to spring for the spin on adapter (although you should, they are pretty cool...).

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
imported post

Hey Ron, WELCOME to best dang forum for wingers on the web!!!! :waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.