Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

The little wings on the side of the radiator were broken so I took them off. When I rode yesterday in the rain, I had huge problems. I felt like I didn't have any gas, especially when I tried to open it up and pass someone. I thought maybe the fuel filter was clogged, so I pulled over and changed it. About 2 weeks ago, I changed spark plugs, so I know they are in great shape. Now I'm thinking maybe water is getting to the coils since those wings are removed.
The lower fairing pieces are in pretty bad shape, really ugly and small. I know you guys in the south would groan at this, but we haven't had many warm sunny days here in Maine in quite a while. I was thinking of changing the lowers to just pieces of Lexan. I think maybe a piece of flat stock or even angle iron bolted to the top of the radiator, and then reuse the lowers brackets. I made this in Paint:

Let me know what you think, will it break off in the wind? Kill my mileage? I was thinking about a foot wide on each side, and trim the top to fit very close to the bottom of the fairing (1/4").
Or should I forget the whole thing and just get some more wings? $20-$40 on ebay, used. It just seems like this would block a lot more wind/rain, and let me ride more comfortably when it get cold again. It IS almost July already..

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the drain holes down at the spark plug wells? They have caused problems if the water can't drain out. Small holes so look good.

As far as the wings.......your ride, what ever tickles you;)

I would go with the regular wind wings, I rode about 85 miles in the rain and they helped alot from me getting wet. Plus my set of Frogg Toggs helped the most

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

brianinmaine wrote:
When I rode yesterday in the rain, I had huge problems. I felt like I didn't have any gas, especially when I tried to open it up and pass someone. I thought maybe the fuel filter was clogged, so I pulled over and changed it. About 2 weeks ago, I changed spark plugs, so I know they are in great shape. Now I'm thinking maybe water is getting to the coils since those wings are removed.
There are small drain holes in the bottom area where the spark plugs are. Take a wire and make sure that the passage is clear. If it fills with water you could experience what you describe.... just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

yeah, I checked those.. nice and clear. I know the coils get really fine cracks sometimes, I have a good used set in there from ebay from 2 years ago? they could be cracked by now though, I haven't checked yet. Any other ideas are VERY welcome? I'll have to get the false tank off and try to spray some water mist around to see if I can find the problem. When it finally stops raining! Also this year I changed the resistor ends on the plug wires, and the wires are about 2 years old, like new. Isn't that about all it could be, the coils I mean?

Also, it's not me that gets wet, it's just the bike. I just wear some Walmart rain stuff and some rubber boots and I get to work nice and dry. I hang it up over my locker there and ride home nice and dry too. In the spring and fall it get pretty chilly in the rain, though, so that's why I'm thinking about the lowers.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Hey Brian,

In place of Lexan or Plexiglas, Both will work. I used Sheet Metal painted to match the bike.

I also made my brackets so I could adjust the angle. They are quite snug so the panels don't move. But I can rotate or turn them so that the wind, Rain stay off. Or on hot days reverse them so it sucks in loads of wind.

You can also coat your coils with a protective layer to prevent the shorting you think you may be experiencing.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Mohawk wrote:
I also made my brackets so I could adjust the angle. They are quite snug so the panels don't move. But I can rotate or turn them so that the wind, Rain stay off. Or on hot days reverse them so it sucks in loads of wind.
I would love some see how you attached them so you can adjust them. Any chance you could snap a few photos? It sounds like a GREAT idea! Man, I love this site, I get to see some of the best ideas ever!

If I do take the coils out, I have some black ABS glue I might 'paint' them with. At least if I see any signs of cracking. Is there a better way?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.