Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1986 Goldwing SE-I last Oct. The owner was going to do a poor boy conversion by adding a alternater as he thought it was a stator problem. I took it down to Alvin Texas as I had talked extensively with about goldwing and he is a guru here on this website. He tested the stator and could not find a problem. He offered to reassmeble the radiator and get it back in riding condition. I drove it around my community as we have miles of private black top roads. In Feb it died and I could not start it. The battery was down and needed a certain amount of voltage to start it. I charged the battery up, but was leery about making a trip on the bike. So, I called a fellow at the Bike Shop in Lufkin, Texas. He had extensive knowledge about the SE-I and I was going take it up to him. Also, when I had it running I let it idle and was fiddling with the computer located on the fake tank. It developed an anti-freeze leak, wouldn't you know.
So, I attempted to load it on a trailer and it was not centered and it tipped over and rested on the bars (45 degrees). When I (we) got it back up and lowered it off the trailer it would not start. So, I put it back in my garage. I diconnected the battery, thinking it may have been a safety switch that needed to be reset. No luck, and now the onboard computer does not seem to be working.

Any Ideas? I am 5'7" and 67 years old, so the bike may not be for me. I am not a mechanic. But I do love Goldwing from my riding a 1979 GL. It was sweet and I was a lot more stronger. smile. So, here I sit....any one with knowledge of this bike please weigh in...Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Sei

exactly what do you need to know and are you capable of doing any checks or repairs

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,531 Posts
If you're not having any of the dash lights or anything come on first check the kill switch. It might have been turned off when you righted the bike. Next check the 30amp main dogbone fuse located on the starter selinoid. You say the PO was a Guru here? He might have allready upgraded to an in-line fuse.. If the dash lights come on but not the fuel system lights, check the in-line 30amp dogbone sub-main fuse located behind the starter selinoid. That feeds systems like the CFI Computer, Cruise Control, etc....

This should get you started. Let us know what you find!!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don, It was the Kill Switch, which I never noticed. Thanks so much. It started right up.....what a dummy I am.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If you're not having any of the dash lights or anything come on first check the kill switch.
So what am I missing?
The schematic shows the kill switch connecting the batt2 terminal to the #1/2 coil pack, and nothing else.
The fuel pump shut off allows power to the #3/4 coil.
Nowhere does it show that power would be interrupted to the dash or any other ignition source.:?
I bought new glasses!

NEVER MIND. I found it in the electrical troubleshooting manual. Boy, that schematic sucks!!

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
So what am I missing?
The schematic shows the kill switch connecting the batt2 terminal to the #1/2 coil pack, and nothing else.
The fuel pump shut off allows power to the #3/4 coil.
Nowhere does it show that power would be interrupted to the dash or any other ignition source.:?
I bought new glasses!

Yer not missing a thing Mike except I put the kill switch suggestion in the wrong place in my post. To be correct it should have read "First, check the kill switch..." and went from there...

I'll try to be more perfect next time.... But.... The bikes now running.. Ain't it??? :grin:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Actually Don, I was looking at a pdf file for the SEI wiring schematic. It's twisted. Not even close to the way the system is wired.
I went to the LTD supplement manual and the cfi diagram is crystal.
Amazing the wiring schematic was so bogus.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
And actually I was thinking initially about the 2 fuel lights and not the rest of the dash... No big deal cuz as I said: at least he's running and that's the important thing!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.