Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first acquired my '99 GL1500 last March, the Low Fuel Light was working just fine. And even now, when I turn on the ignition, the light turns on for a few seconds, so I know the bulb is working properly. But about 2 months ago, I was low on fuel and trying to make a run to the gas station and wound up running out of gas right on the offramp from the freeway. The light had never come on to warn me I was that low. I've run the check on the blue/white wire underneath the site, grounded it and the light came on. So what's the next troubleshooting step for figuring out what's causing the light not to come on?

God bless,

~Mark

·
Premium Member
6,633 Posts
The thermistor in the tank has failed. Here you go...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thermistor in the rank has failed.
I was afraid you'd say something like that. I've done a handful of minor repairs/tuneups on the bike so far but from what I've read, replacing the thermistor is a relatively involved process. I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I changed mine but still does not work ,just get fuel at 200 miles

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Once upon a time the "Low Fuel Sensor' part number 37810-MN5-008 was available from Honda. Not today...!!

I replaced it on my '99 Gold Wing SE in June 2006 (108,000 miles)..

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
There are after market sencors,AZ1800 will have the number.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,702 Posts
There are after market sensors, AZ1800 will have the number.
apparently I did not write that into my notes.
all I have is: 6.79K dry air
which means it is a Thermistor, that is cooled by liquid fuel, and when the fuel level drops, it changes resistance.

DenverWinger wrote this up:

a search found this post, which explains how to get an aftermarket part, and fix it yourself:

. the sensor is no longer available on the market anywhere, you must purchase the NTC thermistor and repair it yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Read post # 2 and post # 17....!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,702 Posts
Thanks Dave,
I didn't find that one, added it to my Bookmarks

·
Registered
'93 GL1500 Aspencade '80 GL1100 STD Vetter
786 Posts
The circuit I came up with on the other forum assumes the thermister still works, but only lights up the low fuel light dimly. Won't help a failed thermister.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I read this stuff. I have put as much as 5.5 gallons in my 99. I ordered 3 thermistors. My bulb works. Grounding the wire makes the light come on.
David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts