Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well mybike has been running great up to now. Heres the problem

The little off idle stumble is getting worse. It was gone for a few days after changing thermostats. I took out the slides and added 21 thousands washers under the needles made no difference other then i lost 4 miles a gallon. When i had the slides out number #3 needle had a whitish deposit on it at the taper end. So i suppose i need to take them off. I have ran sea foam for 2 tanks now.Question is Do you think a good cleaning will do or should i get the full rebuild kit. Im thinking a good cleaning will work my self i cant see needing any needles,floats,jets as it seems to run fine other then when i crack the throttle open.

Pat

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If there's no signs of corrosion (fungus) inside the carbs, I'd go with a good cleaning. Sometimes fitting new nedles can cause more problems in areas that there were none to start with.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
If there's no signs of corrosion (fungus) inside the carbs, I'd go with a good cleaning. Sometimes fitting new nedles can cause more problems in areas that there were none to start with.
That's true. It's probably better to go with a clean first.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The whitish stuff on the needle sounds like there's some corrosion somewhere nearby.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure if y'all have this stuff "across the pond" but I cleaned my carbs out by running a product called Seafoam through them... did a good job. I recall that there was a post about it about a month ago.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Seafoam is the cure. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well i had the carbs off and cleaned them. I did not see ANYTHING. Not even a speck of junk in there.Airvalve was fine alll slides move freeley so i dunno. After i put them back on there was a marked improvement though. The idle adjustment was at 1 1/2 turns out on all carbs so when reassimbling i put them at 1 3/4 out maybe that made the differance BUT there is still a slight stutter when i twist the throttle:?although ALOT less then before. I still need to sync the carbs and the tool will not be here untill Tuesday. Maybe that will cure it i dunno. If the sync does not help i will try turning the screw out to 2 turns and try that.

I did try seafoam first for 4 tankswith about 1/3 the can of seafoam. Did not seem to help at all. I do avarage between 40 and 44 mpg. So other then that im outta ideas

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.