Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello since one month I have a 2016 European Goldwing with 2 original keys. I bought a third one , cutted it, and I would like also to program it. I could buy the OEM cable to don't make disaster with an home made one, but I don't find any procedure on the web. I also have the technical manual but it's for the USA model. I read about a elusive connector.... but where is it?
Any help will be really appreciated.... thanks

·
Administrator
26,198 Posts
As far as I know mere humans can't do it without the Honda handheld tester.

·
Administrator
26,198 Posts
Since we do not have that system and it's not in the US manual all I can go on is my years as a Honda car technician. Programming keys for them could only be done with the Honda dealer equipment.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
280 Posts
I was not aware that the 2016 European Gold Wing had a programmable key. As far as I know the US spec model does not have an electronic programmable key. Is the original poster referring to a remote key fob?

·
Administrator
26,198 Posts
I was not aware that the 2016 European Gold Wing had a programmable key. As far as I know the US spec model does not have an electronic programmable key. Is the original poster referring to a remote key fob?
The European Goldwings have the same or similar immobilizer security system (HISS) as Honda cars here do. Why they never installed it n US models is a mystery, not complaining.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
The European Goldwings have the same or similar immobilizer security system (HISS) as Honda cars here do. Why they never installed it n US models is a mystery, not complaining.
No complaints here either. That is just one more thing we don't have to worry about.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The EU has a requirement for an anti theft system on all newly registered vehicles, the mechanical steering lock used to be enough but its quite possible that some idiotic beurocrat has re read it as electronic needed.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
The EU has a requirement for an anti theft system on all newly registered vehicles, the mechanical steering lock used to be enough but its quite possible that some idiotic beurocrat has re read it as electronic needed.
Or, is in someone's pocket.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello just to let you know.... I met a friend goldwing mechanic in Bologna, 400km from Rome where I live because of a goldwing meeting. I asked him to bring the honda cable to program the key . It was really easy, 5 minutes to program 3 keys. When you program a key you have to program all the keys you have because a new code is generated so the other key will not function any more. You have to connect one side of the cable to a connector behind the radio panel on the left. The other side to positive and negative of a spare battery.... the motorcycle battery works as well. Turn the key to on. The hiss light will blink. Turn the key to off. Disconnect the positive from the battery wait 2 seconds and reconnect it. At this point you have to insert the new keys turn them to on wait 4 blinks and turn them off.... Done...! This is what I remember.... LOL! It was last sunday and my memory , 60 years old, has just 2/3 days of autonomy... 😆

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,735 Posts
glad that you were able to get the keys programmed up correctly.
I was unaware that the code changed each time a new key is programmed.

something we need to remember, when others ask.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts