Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope to finish it up on Monday....
Getting close to finished on the trailer rebuild. New tires, painted rims, sanded and painted the frame, cleaned and repacked wheel bearings.
Just have to reinstall the body and finish the new wiring job....should be great!
Planning to lengthen the tongue about 2 feet and add a cooler rack in front of the body.....reflective tape throughout and led light strips to the rear.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
528 Posts
Be careful with the 2 foot extension. The trailer looks narrow and adding that much may make it fishtail.
The tongue should be no more that twice the dimension between the tires. That's from the axle to the ball mount.
Also, making the tongue longer will decrease the tongue weight (10-15% of total trailer weight), and cause a pogo effect going over bumps.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
The tongue should be AT LEAST twice the distance between the tires. More length will make the trailer more stable as long as you keep the 10% minimum tongue weight. There is a point where the extra length will make little or no difference and from the way it looks in those pictures you are already pretty close to that point. Also be mindful that the longer the trailer the more room you will need when making turns. I would try it the way it is and see how it balances and tows, unless the pictures are making the tongue look longer than it actually is.

Reactions: copper wing

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be careful with the 2 foot extension. The trailer looks narrow and adding that much may make it fishtail.
The tongue should be no more that twice the dimension between the tires. That's from the axle to the ball mount.
Also, making the tongue longer will decrease the tongue weight (10-15% of total trailer weight), and cause a pogo effect going over bumps.
Thank you, I will check that out. This trailer has a wider wheelbase than most of the newer mc trailers that I have seen.
The tongue should be AT LEAST twice the distance between the tires. More length will make the trailer more stable as long as you keep the 10% minimum tongue weight. There is a point where the extra length will make little or no difference and from the way it looks in those pictures you are already pretty close to that point. Also be mindful that the longer the trailer the more room you will need when making turns. I would try it the way it is and see how it balances and tows, unless the pictures are making the tongue look longer than it actually is.
I think it looks longer in the pictures because the container extends past the front part of the frame pretty far. But I will try it first.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
I bought my trailer, a carpenter narrowed it and located the box towards the rear of the Harbor Freight frame.... idiot....

I had to lengthen the hitch by 18 inches, moved the spare tire from underneath the rear of the box, to underneath the tonque as close as I could get it.

Then it started wearing tires badly.... dumped the axle it had, had a Custom Built axle make with Dexter hubs and Grease Zerks in the center of the hub that used a drilled hole to put the grease inside the hub near the inside bearing.... ended all of my problems.

It tows like a dream now, can't even tell it is behinds me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost finished....except for cosmetics. Added LED brake and turn strips to the top lid, should be more visible to cars.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
the only thing I notice that I would change, is the LED lights are slanted down.....
which means the traffic won't see them as well.

I have found that LEDs are very crucial to "angle of view", where the old filament type bulbs were not.
But the increased brightness of LED lighting has won over the field of lighting.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
Get a bicycle kickstand to attach to the tongue. With the kickstand down drill a hole right next to the leg so you can put a pin it to keep the stand from folding. The kickstand works great on these little trailers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get a bicycle kickstand to attach to the tongue. With the kickstand down drill a hole right next to the leg so you can put a pin it to keep the stand from folding. The kickstand works great on these little trailers.
That is a great idea! I was wondering what to add to it to keep the tongue up! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
528 Posts
Here's another option. Most of the camper trailers use these. Spring loaded to extend and retract. Plus it extends for different heights.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried out my trailer lighting yesterday while taking it to be weighed and licensed.
I noticed that the running and brake lights worked fine, but the turn signals were not visible in the full sunlight.
So today I added new 'stop & run' lights but wired them only to the turn signals....now they are nice and bright, even in full sunlight. Better for the cars to see.
Also got some padlocks for the trailer lid....more secure when traveling and staying overnight in different locations.
And in the bottom picture you can see how short the tongue is in front of the box....not room there for a cooler without it possible hitting the side bags on a tight turn or backing up.
Now we just need a good trip to give it a real test.....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
that tongue way WAY too short, that trailer is going to have a tendency to Wig Wag.

it needs to be twice as long, as the wheels are spaced apart.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
863 Posts
This trailer pulls nicely - don't even know it's behind you on the freeway.... There'd be room for a cooler instead of the barbeque grill....

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
863 Posts
Here's a picture of it set up. Lighting and stereo powered by 12v Marine Deep-cycle battery... Gotta have your tunes.
This was at Lake McConaughy in Nebraska a couple weeks ago. Most of that stuff can be packed in the camper if pulling it with the bike, but this trip we pulled it with the Jeep. The 'Wing would NEVER make it thru all the sand at the dispersed camping areas at Lemoyne.

The bed inside converts to a Dinette if needed. We actually had to use the dinette one morning for breakfast, the flies were oppressive, chewing us up, and no amount of Deet would keep them off!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
I quit using tents long ago, 2 years ago, we bought a Toy Hauler to pull behind the Suburban.
Really enjoy using it.
has a 5KVA Generac if needed, and only used it once to keep the dogs cool while we toured a museum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts