Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well after over a month of sanding, I started painting today. I have the rear fender, and the fake tank painted. Now if those side covers from Redbaron would get here I could get them sanded and painted too.

I'm going to be putting the wing together as a standard initially this year. Just ot get it it on the road so I can get some work. Alogn the way I'll finish painting the rest an pretty much have an Interstate.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

pass along some pics Winger.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

A paint setup is on my short list of Items to spend money on this year. I went to a shop and for a Nekid Bike I got quoted $750 and for my dresser with the Candy Maroon I got quoted 1700. I can buy 2 guns and screw up a lot of paint learning before I get to those totals.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
heh...I'm doing min ewith rattle cans.
There was a comment about the quality of the paint in rattle cans being pretty poor. It scratched and flaked off easily.

Years ago I worked for a paint supply company and we made spray cans as special order using the same paint that the body shops bought from us for use in their guns. They were a little pricey but the quality was there. I don't know is there is someone inyour area that has a similar service.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
Broke Winger wrote:
heh...I'm doing min ewith rattle cans.
There was a comment about the quality of the paint in rattle cans being pretty poor. It scratched and flaked off easily.

Years ago I worked for a paint supply company and we made spray cans as special order using the same paint that the body shops bought from us for use in their guns. They were a little pricey but the quality was there. I don't know is there is someone inyour area that has a similar service.
My last build bike (in my Avatar)was done with off the shelf Auto Zone rattle cans. Looks pretty good I think but yes it does scratch easily. I was talking with a friend and he told me that he got his cans made up special from Sherman Williams. He has a thing about the early 70's corvette Red. A little expensive but they are a much better quality than off the shelf paints.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Right now I'm only doing a temporary paint job. Just a satin black to get me through until I have the money to do it right. I'll still be doing it with rattle cans but I will be using a very strong clear coat with UV protection. Should be alright.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

NAPA fills paint cans with paint to match cars........ can't remember what paint they use and is about 20 buck a can and 2 can minimum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.