Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1995 GL1500 SE and the stock suspension on it is far too soft for my liking. The guy I bought it from put a car tire on the rear, and put it on BACKWARDS so the tread runs the wrong way. On the highway it feels like you are driving on black ice as the rear end wanders around. I purchased a Dunlop elite 4 to replace, and I figured I would swap out the shocks while I was at it. I ordered the progressive 412's without heavy duty springs and I'm thinking I may have to return them. I'm about 250-260lbs but do plan on losing weight sometime in the future. Should I exchange them for ones with heavy duty springs or get a better series all together?

Thanks
Bagley Q.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I took them up to I believe 50lbs with my weight on the bike. The bike does bottom out sometimes if I go over speed bump. Maybe it's just the tire?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Book says 0-57 psi but it does say put on center stand when adjusting psi so that would obviously mean stiffer than bring it to 50psi when sitting on bike. No evidence of oil leakage

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,997 Posts
I would do it as the book says. There's only one air shock on the bike, so the pressure can be very important.
15s are pretty easy to put on the center stand, aren't they?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the old style single 450 Progressive shock on my last 1500 used along with the stock air shock. Also Progressive fork springs. In my opinion it made for a rough ride going solo, but if there was a passenger on board it rode like a Cadillac. Due to the bad streets around here I broke the leading edge of fairing where the 2 screws mount to the frame just because of bad roads and vibration..Just have to get it loaded rightr.Less street riding, more road riding.
gumbyredd

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
on my '94SE,
I ran 57-60 psi in the rear shock all the time, I weighed about 265 or more back then.

I had Progressive heavy fork springs installed by D&D Discount Motorcycle in Tempe, AZ.

after that, the bike handled great.....
bought a new set of the Michelin special tires for the bike, loved them, 3 months later Penske totalled that bike out. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts