Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a deal with a friend that has a pair of Progressive Series 416 air shocks that are 3 years old for $50. Are these the way to go replacing the stock units? I see that the new 450 series single IAS shock is the latest and greatest. Is it worth the hassle to put these dual air units on? I do at the time have the whole rear end apart so actually no big deal. Does anybody have the 416's on their Wing? And if so how do you like them? I have the chance today to get them so I am wondering if they would be a big improvement over the stock units? I'd imagine they are but would be PO'd if they didnt work out after all is put back together. Thanks

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
imported post

My 82 GL1100A has them now. My factory shocks were shot and if i hit a small bump in the road they would bottom out. I find these to be great. At 0psi they bottom out sometimes, and get a little bouncy. 20Psi seems to be the optimum 1up unloaded setting. 2 up or loaded I still run 57psi. They seem to offer great control and confidence.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

if you dont want them i'll give him $65

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yes indeed, I had 416s on an 1100, 1200 and now on my 1500. To me they were worth the money and I paid a good bit more than $50. I have Progressive springs on the front of my 1500 and think them well worth the cash too. The handling is much improved in the twisties, no wallowing, she just carves the curves like she's on rails. The ride is a bit stiffer but no uncomfortably so. I'd recommend them highly. Be sure to get the adapter with them to connect the Progressive air lines to the Honda sized ones. BTW 416s on the 1100 absolutely eliminated the bottoming out problem when riding 2 up. Progressive springs in the front of the 1100 meant I could ride it with 0psi in the forks and it still handled better.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

Got 416's on my '95 Interstate. I also have Progressive fork springs. Handling is very good with that combination.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks for the feedback on the 416's, I am on my way soon to get em'. Ride On...............

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

I also replaced my original shocks on my GL1100 with 416's last year. They made a world of difference in the comfort and quality of ride. I used the adapter kit to hook then up to the stock manifold which distributes the air evenly and allows pressurization from a single fitting under the right side cover. They weren't cheap but I expect them to last a very long time.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Ditto the 416s. I've ran them for over 4 years(the only set I've put on) and love them. I put the valve stem next to the gas tank filler(drilled into the plastic that is around it) so all I have to do is open the faux tank door and there it is. Just for durability, I ran the air lines inside some clear plastic tubing to prevent a "rub through" although I don't know if that is necessary.

Go for it. It's only money, and comfort, and fun.:waving:

Hobie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.