Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking at replacing the fried stock damper units on my 81's rear shocks. The OEM's still hold air, but every bump brings a clunk from the bike and a slap on the back of the head from the girlfriend. I looked into replacement air shocks, but they are cost prohibitive for the old girl. I found the replacement damper cartridges from Progressive, for about half the price and am capable of performing the work myself. Anyone out there gone this route themselves? I will be dropping matching fork springs in at the same time.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

sounds like you have lost all the damping fluid out of them. they are rebuildable . if you have the stock shocks .

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

To my knowledge they have never leaked, really not a problem riding solo. I might question the fluid, if among other things, they would'nt hold air. Seven years as a Honda wrench, six with folks at Kawasaki, a BMW certificate or two (lot of years ago). My primary question is the overall ride quality improvement. I know most OEM shocks give it up pretty early, these don't have many miles on them (13K), just a lot of years.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I believe those kits come with the dampners, progressive replacement springs and new seals. I looked at them months ago before I found a good, used set of Progressive shock and front fork springs. Basically they allow you to upgrade the stock honda air shocks to Progressives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.