Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just finished up with the front progressive springs and took it out for my favorite activity of figure eights in the culdesac and wow the front end seems so much harder to move through tight circles and figure eights. seems MUCH heavier. Have you had similar issues?

what do you think? i put in the recomended oil from prgressive?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Doesn't sound right. Why would it affect how it turns? What weight oil did you use? How much air pressure is in the forks? I run mine with zero pressure...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My experience with both the 1100 and 1500 was very little difference at slow speed but a much more solid tracking in curves at higher speed.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

it turns fine.

the front end just feels heavier as it is turned as tight as it can get.

no air at all

it obviously sits much higher than before. i think it might have something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

That could do it. Raise the front end, steering geometry changes. Maybe the other guys can chime in that have Progressive springs, mine are still stock.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

chris in va wrote:
That could do it. Raise the front end, steering geometry changes. Maybe the other guys can chime in that have Progressive springs, mine are still stock.
that is what i was thinking. it sits so much higher. I still can turn tight circles and figure eights fine just seems it takes more effort to do so.

the only thing i am not sure i like is not being able to adjust with air. i did hit the front brake hard and no dive at all.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

A couple of things: First of all, it's going to sit higher as your stock springs had shortened in length due to age and use. My 83' would almost stand straight up on the side-stand with the stock suspension. Scarey. When I replaced front and back with the Progressives it raised it a good couple of inches. So that's probably what's happened with you.

The second thing that caught my eye is your statement that your bike doesn't dive at all under hard braking. Can you sit on the bike and pull and push on the handle bars and get the bike to go up and down in the front? You should be able to push and pull the bike at least a couple of inches back and forth. BTW, what year is your 1100? The 83's have an anti-dive system that can get plugged up and make the suspension stiff. If it's not an 83, I wonder if you've got something in a bit crooked. You didn't put the little springs back in on top of the progressives did you? I doubt it because as you know, putting the progressives back in takes some considerable pressure in their own right. Also, if you've got bad bushings on the spring guide, they could cause "stiction".

Hope you get it sorted out. I think once you do, you'll love the improvement in your bike.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Also on top of what Hobie added, make sure that there are no extra spacers other than what e Progressive instruction show.

The oil weight should be 10w to allow the antidive to work.
Provided he anitdive is not the cause...

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Yeah, it appeared to me that only the 83's have the anti-dive units.

Hobie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.