Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Being a complete novice when it comes to fork tube rebuilds, I didn't realize the larger fork spring was a progressive spring. Which end of the spring goes in the tube first? Some people say it doesn't matter. Honda says the shorter coiled end goes in first (I don't think this person really knew). I could find out by taking the other tube apart... but rather know now. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi ahnerrj, the answer is, it really doesn't matter. The spring will work the same no matter which way it is in the tube.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I have rebuilt forks on a number of bikes and installed Progressive springs before, which have always come with instructions. The tighter coils (or closer spaced coils) face down and the loosely coiled part of the spring faces up.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys. If you don't mind... I have another question. What's the amount of oil that must be added to a GL1100 (naked) fork and how do you measure it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

i blieve it is 8oz i can check and make sure. just sneek your wifes measuring cup outside and measure out the oil clean it up real good and return it to its rightful place and all is well.

I REBUILT SEVERAL SETS THIS YEAR AND THE 20WT OIL IS THE WAY TO GO ON THE 1100

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Quick question... When I removed the bolt located in the bottom of the outer tube I noticed there was some brown substance on the threads. The brown stuff appeared to be some sort of gasket or sealer material which may of served as a lock-tite compound as well. I wire brushed it off.

Anyone can chime in... What is product most perferred for sealing and locking the threads? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

sort of like walking to the front of the train, you still get to the station at the same time.... now I just need to know if the refrigerator light goes out when I shut the door

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.