Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who have installed the Progressive Forks Springs #11-1102 in their wings, did the package include any plastic spacers or metal washers ?
Not needed, just curious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a new package here - pending install. No washers or spacers. I note that the instructions state to remove both of the OEM main springs (short and long). The replacement Progressive spring appears to be an inch or two shorter than the combined length of the two OEM springs. The Progressive spring is visibly heavier, however. Curious to see how it works out once it's installed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You need to set your sag to 25% of full suspension travel,
SO you measure full travel of the forks with out any springs. Just move the fork all the way up and measure then all the way down.

Then assemble completely Once you know the full travel, Set your pre load so when you are on the bike sitting still, your regular gear and feet off the floor, it should be using 25% of full travel. I use a Zip tie on the stationary fork leg. I also measure from the top instead of from the fork seal because my back does not like me putting the bike on the center stand.

Once you find out what your sag is, you need to adjust the preload using spacers. Depending on how much space is needed, you can use washers, or plastic pipe or metal pipe cut to length.

Look up how to set your suspension sag, Its all over he net.

David

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a new package here - pending install. No washers or spacers. I note that the instructions state to remove both of the OEM main springs (short and long). The replacement Progressive spring appears to be an inch or two shorter than the combined length of the two OEM springs. The Progressive spring is visibly heavier, however. Curious to see how it works out once it's installed.
Sounds just like mine were too, except the Progressive were slightly longer than the old. The old were even with the top of the fork when the cap was off, while the Progressive were around an inch above. 1980 here; don't know if the forks were different for the other 1100 years. I just swapped the Progressive for the old, added fluid, done. Working great.

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
Sounds just like mine were too, except the Progressive were slightly longer than the old. The old were even with the top of the fork when the cap was off,
Your old springs must have been cut or something, usually they are a couple inches above the top.

Reactions: Mailman

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you remove both the long and the short spring?

Mine is a 1980 also.

See attached pic. Top is OEM short + long spring, bottom is Progressive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quite possible I'm misremembering; anything past five minutes ago is susceptible. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts