Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone tell me the new length for progressive fork springs in a 88-=1500.

I bought an 88-1500 last fall and decided to put progressive fork springs on.

I bought some and when i went to change the springs instead of 2 springs there was only one but it was 1" shorter than the new one's that i bought.Could they be some other after market springs.I still installed the new one's and changed the oil.

Dman2

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The spring specs are the same for all 88-00 models.The Progressive 11-152 is 20.5" or 521mm free length. I'm not aware of them being different lenths.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info.

Now is it possible that the springs i took out were progressives and if so they were 19 3/4 .

Has anyone heard of progressives shrinking,settling,getting weak.etc. That would account for the one's i took out to be shorter.

Dman :baffled: :baffled:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Yes, all fork springs settle after a few years use and by up to 5% isn't unusual.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Skooter wrote:
Yes, all fork springs settle after a few years use and by up to 5% isn't unusual.

Looks like you were right about thsi Paul. I asked a few bike mechanics and they back up your theory. I didn't think thick springs like that would shring down, you learn something new every day!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

So if the springs i took out are prog's i guess i will have a pair for sale.

Dman

Thanks for the info.

I was only installing the springs because of all the talk about prog's.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The ones you took out sound like they have pretty well had the course since they are too short. They could be used okay for awhile longer with a spacer.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

today i received my progressive springs and they are 2 inch shorter then the originals

call me stupid but is this normal?

or do i have to put the shortest old one back in the tube?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

johnj wrote:
today i received my progressive springs and they are 2 inch shorter then the originals

call me stupid but is this normal?

or do i have to put the shortest old one back in the tube?
John, call or E-Mail progressive spring company to be sure.. Just because the springs are shorter doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong.. Shorter springs can easily hold the bike at the same (correct) height if they are stiffer in compression.. Usually the stiffer a spring is the shorter they are as they don't compress as much for the same load..

Twisty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.