Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Are you supposed to maintain air pressure in the front suspension system on an 83 GL1100I with progressive installed? The PO told me I wasn't supposed to. I am unsure .

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

at least on my 1200, with progressives installed, I maintain a minimal amount of air pressure, say 1-3 psi. I would say see where it rides good, and go with it, if you like a few psi, thats fine, if not, then the progressive springs have more than enough power to prevent handling problems. My guess is you will like it with just a few psi in it though.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks. I got the impression from the PO that using any pressure was detrimental to the progessive setup. I feel like a few psi would feel better. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,275 Posts
imported post

I don't think it will hurt anything to put a couple pounds of pressure in the fork, as long as your seals are good.

Mine is a GL12 but I prefer the Progressives without air.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,505 Posts
imported post

I installed Progressives on my 1200, and I can tell you that it handles better with 2-3 psi than with zero psi.

The tiny bit of air seemed to me, to stop all tendency for nose dive when stopping hard. Also, I liked the little bit of extra front end height. It's not a noticeable amount that someone could see, just makes it handle better on the 75 mph sweepers we have here in Phoenix.

More air does not destroy the Progressive springs, just don't exceed the maximum seal pressure limits.

I tried 5 psi just to know how that was. Lifted the front too much, and made it a lot harsher riding on the snake strips across the road.

Play with it a bit. I had a small pump with a digital gauge that read in 0.1 psi increments. Pump it up a 1/2 psi or so above what you want, because you will loose a bit of air pulling the hose off the schrader valve.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I have progressives in my 1500 and don't add air to the forks. I ran my 1200 with about 2psi in front with progressive springs. This really didn't make much difference over running 0psi though. It doesn't matter as long as you don't go over the Honda recommended pressure limit for the forks.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Update on my Progressive fork pressure concern. I did some experimentation and I prefer to run 6lbs pressure. It made a world of difference to me. I like the increased feel of the road, the little bit of ride height, and the reduction of brake dive while creeping in traffic. I tend to be a little heavy handed on the brakes in stop and go and it feels great now. Thanks for all the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.