Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day to you all.
Just a quick line on my experience with progressive fork springs.
I have fitted them to my wing on and off over the years and I cant really say
I'm very impressed with them, I always go back to the standard springs and spacers.
They are impossible to fit without my specially made spring compressor
and once fitted they make the bike stand on tippy toe like a flaming ballerina.
Also the bike leans like a drunken sailor on its sidestand and the springs dont
really respond to smaller bumps, the wheel just bops up and down unless it hits a really good bump.
My solution was to cut the spring down by about 35 mm from the close wound end and just drop them in the forks with no spacers and the fork cap takes about 30 seconds to fit.
The result is somewhere between the stock soggy springs and the stiff arsed attitude of the progressives. They respond to smaller bumps easily and the bike dosent feel like its a sag arsed oprah winfrey.
In a word ' bloody brilliant' ( ok two words ).
copyalater

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
My experience after installing them in several GL1800's.... is a dramatic improvement in ride and control. Installation is a snap, with the front wheel off the ground.
I know there are other suspension system ugrades available and most are from a little to a lot more money. But for a great improvement over stock fork springs in the GL1800 anyway, I highly recommend the Progressive's.

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Mine installed just fine without any need for special tools. The handling of the bike is drastically improved also.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Actually I am not very large at all (a medium T-shirt) I just placed the socket onto the cap attached to rank handle driver (looks like the old hand drills) and placed this into my upper chest whist kneeling upon the seat and then leaned forward to compress the spring enough to catch the pre marked/aligned threads correctly. Of course the bike was jacked up off of the ground with the forks fully extended and the front wheel off of the ground so I guess that helps as you then only have a couple of inches of spring to compress.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proto-5280-...417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19dbaa3901

http://javascript<b></b>:;

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Same as unionjk, I just leaned down hard on the cap and spring. The pressure of the spring was really string and the cap flew off a couple of times before I got it on.
Progressives are a lot stiffer and not everyone links them. It takes getting used to after being so accustomed to the usual Goldwing soft ride.

·
1,831 Posts
Actually I am not very large at all (a medium T-shirt) I just placed the socket onto the cap attached to rank handle driver (looks like the old hand drills) and placed this into my upper chest whist kneeling upon the seat and then leaned forward to compress the spring enough to catch the pre marked/aligned threads correctly. Of course the bike was jacked up off of the ground with the forks fully extended and the front wheel off of the ground so I guess that helps as you then only have a couple of inches of spring to compress.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proto-5280-...417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19dbaa3901
I have mounted all kinds off fork springs this way , and as you say ,- it is easy !

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
How difficult the cap is to install depends on the year and model. gl1200's...moderately difficult but one person can do it with some effort. 95 and newer 1500's and all 1800's 'easy peasy'. 88-94 gl1500's...very difficult, a special tool or a second person will be necessary for all but the stoutest individuals.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I agree, I never had any trouble putting a Progressive spring into my 1200SEI but putting them in my '93 1500 was a horse of another color. I made a jig to align and compress the spring on that bike. Well worth the half hour it took to make up the tool because it keeps the spring under control and insures that the fork cap won't be cross threaded.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.