Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My rear shocks still work, but they could use a bit of help. I can't decide whether to rebuild the stock shocks or go with the progressives. I feel fairly confident that I can handle the rebuild but I am curious if the Progressives are a big upgrade over rebuilt stockers? Anybody have an opinion on that?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

i was in you same situation last spring. i went with the option of draining the oil and putting in fresh. nothing to lose except my labor. they have worked much better since.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

22lyons wrote:
i was in you same situation last spring. i went with the option of draining the oil and putting in fresh. nothing to lose except my labor. they have worked much better since.
So, you just pulled them off, flushed out the old fluid and replaced it? You did not replace the seals?

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I did a seal replacement on my shocks. Could not get the seal to quit leaking on my right rear shock even with the new seal. Ended up getting the progressive non-air shocks for my 1200. Like then alot. You can get seals from servicehonda.com and transmission fluid is what is used for oil.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dancinbear wrote:
I did a seal replacement on my shocks. Could not get the seal to quit leaking on my right rear shock even with the new seal. Ended up getting the progressive non-air shocks for my 1200. Like then alot. You can get seals from servicehonda.com and transmission fluid is what is used for oil.
Do you like the coil shocks? I definitely prefer coil shocks to air shocks. Are they strong enough to handle two up on a full dresser?

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking of using non air normal shocks on my asp, has anyone tried them ? even with 60psi my shocks bottem out

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The reason Honda put the air shocks on the 'Wing was because a spring only shock would be difficult to adjust because the shocks are behind the hard bags. It's good to be able to set the suspension for two up or solo riding. I've put Progressive rear shocks on a 1200, 1100 and on my 1500 and really like them. No more bottoming out.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

The coil overs from progressive are very good. I think they are the #4126. I don't remember so well these days. The first thing I noticed, is the way the bike tracked thru a sweeping corner. I'm talking about running 60 thru a 45 mph corner........ the old shocks felt like you were on top of a water buffalo. The new ones just held firm and enabled me to power right thru the last half of the curve with great confidence. The down side is like what Exavid says....... ya can't set the suspension back and forth for 1 or 2 riders readily..... my wife only weighs 125 pounds, so I have them set on the #2 setting and have not had bottoming troubles. Started out with the second to the stiffest setting and they were way to solid for my liking. I am 6' and 200 lbs,a nd Cindy is 5'10" and 125........ we don't travel with a bunch of stuff to overload the bike. The #2 setting is just right for the 2 of us and plenty firm when by myself. Ya just goota make a trade-off.unless you drop your bags all the time in order to get the wrench on them to turn them. I do keep the wrench in the tool kit though.... just in case we do get a load going that makes then bottom out.

Hope my rambling helps.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I like the Progresssive 416's on my 83. I put the air fill valve up next to the gas tank on the bracket that runs across. Easy to access and adjust. Well worth the money to me.

Hobe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.