Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, has anyone out there disassembled a Progressive 416-1633 ? I've got two of these on the rear of my 93 leaking oil. I thought they were air shocks only since they both connect to the bike air pump, however when I took them off I discovered they seem to have internal springs. I managed to compress one a bit using a couple turnbuckles juried up with a couple pieces of rod stock. A little research showed that the -1633 have super heavy springs, -1623 have heavy duty and -1613 have the lightest springs. Seems like this was mentioned before in this forum or another, but I'd forgotten.

Finally wrestled the circlip off the thing. Had to make up a clip ring tool out of an old pair of pliers and a couple pins made out of welding rod. Drilled a couple holes in the sides of the plier jaws and inserted pins made out of welding rod. Too cheap to buy a larger internal ring plier. I hooked it back up to the bike and put 70lbs of air into it but so far nothing has budged. I'ts in a bucket with a towel tied over the top to keep thing in one place. Hopefully keeping that pressure on it overnight might get it to move.

:stumped::15red::stumped:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

With the air pressure built up, try tapping with a rubber mallet. That in conjunction with the air often works.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey GWEddie :waving: Update your profile please, and let us see the LOCATION where you have the caravan parked. :crying:

:stumped: :18red: :stumped:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

GWEddie wrote:
With the air pressure built up, try tapping with a rubber mallet. That in conjunction with the air often works.
Leaving pressure on the first one overnight did the job, it was blown out in the morning. On the second one I didn't want to wait so blew it off with my shop compressor. That it, came out with a pretty good bang, maybe 150psi was a bit much? Anyway they are all cleaned up, resealed and waiting for new boots, the old boots were kinda used up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.