Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am getting ready to replace my 25 year old stock factory air shocks on my 1200.

I was looking at the Progressive(416series)Air shocks and the(412 series)Heavy duty oil shocks with adjustable spring pre-loads.

Im looking for a smooth ride and dont load my bike heavy or pull a trailer so which shock would give me a better ride?

Also you guys with the 1500s, Are any of you running the ProgressiveHeavy dutyoil shocks on your Wings?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

many people have just put prog. springs in stock shock, i just did using gamblers post, not sure how i like it yet as i have ignition troubles trying to work out. don't think you'll like adj. springs as side bags have to come off every time you want to adjust.:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

You'll find that the ride will be MUCH firmer with either choice but the bike will handle better than new. The air and spring shocks have similar ride only the air is easier to adjust.

John

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I was reading where these stock air shocks have oil in them? is this true and if so how do you put oil in them?

My Honda V45 rode way better than this Goldwing and it just had the stock coil spring shocks on it. Even if I had to take my bags off to adjust the 412 series it would be worth it if they would give me a comfortable ride.

The new 412 series are gas charged http://www.progressivesuspension.com/hd/412series/index.html

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I read Gamblers shock rebuild thread http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/14189.html

I don't think I want to go this route but what a great thread, I cant believe you can get a smooth ride from an air shock, I noticed they don't use air shocks on the 1800 and offer 2 coil type gas shocks for the 1500.

Anyone running these coil type shocks on their wings?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Just installed 416 series Progressive air shocks recently. Easy install and they work just fine. Coil spring shocks? Don't float my boat. I heard having the stock shocks rebuilt was expensive at least in this neck of the woods. I'll have to read that rebuild post and thx for posting it.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

escogold wrote:
Just installed 416 series Progressive air shocks recently. Easy install and they work just fine.
What is your ride like with the 416s? are they Smooth? My stock air shocks ride like a Mack Truck :shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.