Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going to do my brakes this winter I thought about rear shocks Mine are still good but thought progressive air would be better, but expensive are they worth the money? I already have progressive springs for the front and a superbrace ready to go in

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I did mine in my 1100. Yes, very much worth it.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
imported post

Hey tommyh,

IMO, I would suggest only replacing the factory shock with progressive shock (factory replacement) as it will make a pretty significant difference in handling, it sure did on mine and my brothers. As for air shocks, stick to the factory one as it only provides ride height when changing loads and nothing to do with firmness or handling.

I have another friend that has dual air shocks and he goes around corners like he's on a pogo stick.

Good luck
Rick

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The stock set up consists of a regular shock (coil spring over a dampener unit) and the air bag (no spring/dampener)

The Progressive 416s are sprung dampeners with air bags (best of both worlds) and yes, they provide a firmer, morecontrolled ride, yet not a harsh onee.

If you're looking for a better handling bike, with a bit firmer, yet comfortableride, then the Progressive 416s are for you.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

The 416's are the best money I have spent my 81' Interstate.
Pricey? YES!
Worth it? ABSOLUTELY

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

416's are the way to go. Firm but not too harsh, and they eliminate the stock shocks wallowing.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

I installed 416s on my 1200 Asp and consider the $370 well spent.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

I put a set of 416's on my bike last year during the Christmas sale at cyclemax 20% off. It was really, other than the superbrace one of the best things I ever did to improve the handling of my bike. I will never go back in fact if these ever go bad Progressive sells kits to rebuild them.

·
751 Posts
imported post

I will 22nd this motion I did the 416`s on my 1500 & It was probably one of the best $300 I have ever spent They work real well with the fork springs & fork brace You will wonder what took you soo long to install them ! Amuch improved ride when you ride the twisties ( cause twisties take the cake )

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Yes, the Progressives are a great upgrade, especially if you are currently experiencing handling problems ("wallowing") in curves due to a worn out stock unit.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Did the progressives on the 1200 I went from leaky air shocks that required nearly 50LBs and didn't do a thing to 416's that I now use a little over 40lbs in and I get a much better ride and stop the rear end movement. I have the old styled super-brace and I recently purchased the progressive front springs which I will be adding shortly. I bought my 4162 brand new in the Box shipped to me for 89 bucks off fleabag.Got Lucky as they were miss categorized. But I have seen them for 298 includes shipping. Just search around.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
imported post

Save some money, try to find used 416's on E Bay..repair kits are available..

I was lucky & found a decent pair for < $50, +$20 for a pair of repair seal kits

and I was good to go!

Carsh :action:

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

But watch out on e-bay almost Bought a pair from a guy that said they were progressive and after he sent some more pictures they looked stock and were. The bidding went up to 150 bucks so just make sure you know what you are getting.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

I put Progressives on my 1100 and I love the firm ride and good handling. I have one word of caution. My wife wanted a better (softer) ride for her bad back. Progressives do NOT create a softer ride than stock. I would recommend them for most people.

John

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

Dadoo wrote:
Progressives do NOT create a softer ride than stock.
They don't claim to John. It's all about firming up the ride, the flip side being it's a harder ride also. :weightlifter:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

A related question here....

I ride with my OEM shocks at about 55 all the time anyway for two reasons:

1.) It seems to handle better and I have become accustom to that.
2.) It adds some height to the rear which I find useful when using a homemade hitch rack I have AND I am now running a DS Wintersport which has decreased my height in the back.

How would the progressives help me... if at all?

T

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Progressive 416s do ride a little firmer but not as firm as a pair of worn out, bottoming originals.
Bobby

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
A related question here....

I ride with my OEM shocks at about 55 all the time anyway for two reasons:

1.) It seems to handle better and I have become accustom to that.
2.) It adds some height to the rear which I find useful when using a homemade hitch rack I have AND I am now running a DS Wintersport which has decreased my height in the back.

How would the progressives help me... if at all?

T
Progressives have a higher PSI than the stock 57 PSI max

1. Minimum air [highlight= rgb(255, 136, 255);]pressure[/highlight]: 0 psi, recommended maximum:100 psi. All air [highlight= rgb(255, 136, 255);]pressure[/highlight] readings should be taken statically (motorcycle on the center stand, rear wheel off the ground). We recommend using the same air [highlight= rgb(255, 136, 255);]pressure[/highlight] gauge consistently as readings may vary from gauge to gauge.

2. Ride height. With the motorcycle on the center stand (rear wheel off the ground). Measure the distance from the center of the rear axle to point vertical on the frame (see figure 5). Now take the bike off the center stand and load the motorcycle with the rider, passenger, luggage, accessories and trailer (if any) and re-measure the same points. With the motorcycle loaded, this measurement should decrease by approximately (1.0"-1.50"). Add or subtract air pres-sure to reach this recommended ride height (see step 4).

3. Now put the motorcycle back on the center stand (un-load rear wheel) and take a new [highlight= rgb(255, 136, 255);]pressure[/highlight] reading with the same gauge. You now have a ballpark figure to refer to while on the road.

4. If you add or subtract weight from step 3, a ballpark air [highlight= rgb(255, 136, 255);]pressure[/highlight] recommendation is to increase/decrease air [highlight= rgb(255, 136, 255);]pressure[/highlight] 10 psi for each 50 lbs of weight variation.

5. Trailer tongue weight or accessories mounted behind the rear axle may require slightly more than the 10 psi per 50lbs recommended ratio due to the weight being behind the axle

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

toy4rick wrote:
Hey tommyh,

IMO, I would suggest only replacing the factory shock with progressive shock (factory replacement) as it will make a pretty significant difference in handling, it sure did on mine and my brothers. As for air shocks, stick to the factory one as it only provides ride height when changing loads and nothing to do with firmness or handling.

I have another friend that has dual air shocks and he goes around corners like he's on a pogo stick.

Good luck
Rick
As Rick said he only replaced the coil over non air stock shock with a new coil over from Progressive and kept the stock air shock for height adjustment. The Progressive has adjustments on the spring to stiffen the preload on the coil for riding style, firm to cushy on the tushy. Once set, ride er! And it did make a difference when I put the stock coil over back on, removing the second progressive air shock. I will be ordering a Progressive coil over soon. Might have to sell the other air shock first.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.