Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have had my progressive springs in my front shocks for about 5 yrs now. Was just wondering if they have a service life and should they be replaced at some time??

Same thing with the 416's I have on the rear. Is there a point they just ware out??

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Do you have a compelling reason you're asking? Behaviour changes in your bike? Or did the 5th anniversary just come up and cause curiosity?

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Mostly because of the 5th anniversary.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Coil springs can sag over time. If you're really on the ball, you'd have measured your suspension components and be able to track it.

With Jaguars, I see many that are over 20 years old, and somewhere around that mark some of the coil springs can sag a few mms and cause one to want to replace the springs.

So, yes - they can sag - typically takes a few decades with cars, and I don't really see it on bikes that often. I have seen lots and lots of 1984-1987 Goldwings with original springs from Mother Honda, and I doubt they've changed even 5 mm.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

it takes along time and alot of abuse for them to sag

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Took them out to do my bushings and seals today. They are still the 20.5 inches long Progressive says they should be. Did have an odd thing. the fork oil coming out of the left fork was totally disgusting, grey and thick, looked horrible (or as the British say "orrible") The fluid coming out of the right fork looked as clean as the new fluid I was putting in. And, the bottom 8mm bolt on the left side was totally seized, I had to drill out the old bolt head and install a new one. The new bolts look to be made from a different material then the old ones did. So I am hoping it wont happen again. I may remove them and put a bit of anti-seize on the copper washer.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Good on you for doing one of the most oft overlooked parts of motorcycle maintenance.

The guys at RaceTech have me on schedule to bring them forks from the Trophy and the Goldwings in for at least an oil change every 20,000. For my track bike I do it every other year, as 20,000 doesn't come easy on that one. Every other year is about 2,500 miles on that bike.

And yep - it looks just 'orrible.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

I put progressive fork springs in my bike in February of '95. It had 112K miles on it. They still seem to be OK, but I haven't measured them for awhile. I'm pretty sure they have a lifetime guarantee against sacking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.