Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 82 Aspencade is fitted with air shocks front and rear which I set according to the Owners manual.

My front end "dives" excessively ( it seems to me) when I apply hard braking at very low speed, and I am thinking that Progressive springs/shocks might eliminate this problem? I also presume that a similar action is taking place at higher speeds but it doesnt reveal itself as much as Im rarely coming to a complete stop

If anyone could comment on whether this is correct and what number Progressive spring/shock is required, Id certainly appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Progressive's 416s for the back, 1102s fork springs for the front.

I put these on my '83 and they really improved the ride. You might want to put 10 weight oil in the front as 15 weight seems a bit "stiff" for my liking. I'm changing my fork oil when the bike goes down for winter maintenance. Also, you don't use any air in the front forks anymore. However, you might put a little in if the 10 weight oil seems too light.

I'm not sure but I think that they make different springs for the 416's. Mine are apparently the stiffest as I didn't know any different when I bought them. The ride is very firm but no more bottoming out. Also, the bike sits up a bit taller since the original 21+ year old springs had lost some of their tension.

Hope this helps.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

BTW, welcome to the best forum on the 'net!:waving::clapper:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The progressive 416's and front springs made a world of difference in the ride on my '82. Welcome to the top forum.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Progressive's 416s for the back, 1102s fork springs for the front.

I'm not sure but I think that they make different springs for the 416's.
Hobie
Yep, you can get three different spring rates for the 416s. If you don't specify you get the stiffest ones. On my 1500 I've had both OEM and Progressives on the rear and much prefer the Progressives. I like the fact that both shocks have air boost instead of only one with the OEM setup. The ride is definitely harder but not terribly so but much better two up. I run with no air pressure in the front with the Progressive springs. With a max load on the bike there is still almost full fork and rear suspension travel available which isn't the case with the OEM. Might have been when the OEM was new but I've never had the chance to see what it rode like new.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I wish I'd known about the different spring rates for the 416s. I bought mine through Venco Wings and wasn't asked about my preference. I think the ride I've got is a little on the hard side. I asked Progressive about this, even offering to send my shocks back to them to have the medium rate put in, at my additional expense,and didn't have much luck.I would go with the medium or low if I had it all to do over again.

With all that said, I still think the bike is better off with the Progressives installation.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I wish I'd known about the different spring rates for the 416s. I bought mine through Venco Wings and wasn't asked about my preference. I think the ride I've got is a little on the hard side. I asked Progressive about this, even offering to send my shocks back to them to have the medium rate put in, at my additional expense,and didn't have much luck.I would go with the medium or low if I had it all to do over again.

With all that said, I still think the bike is better off with the Progressives installation.

Regards,

Hobie
I felt the same way about my 416s for awhile. However now I like the harder springs. I run with little or no pressure in the rears solo and about 50lbs when 2 up. We are not little people! It is a firmer ride, but pays off in the twists and has never bottomed out. I'm surprised you didn't get better results from Progressive, on the phone they told me they could change the springs if I wanted to but recommended I stay with the hard ones a bit longer to be sure.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

What did you pay for the Progressives and from where?:baffled:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.