Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 88 GL1500 and I'm about to put Progressive Springs in the front forks. I intend to do the job with the forks still in the bike.

Can someone please give the volume of oil for each fork.

Any other tips or hints would be appreciated.

Thanks, Al

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

325cc left, 320cc right are the figures from the Honda book. ;)

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

I use 15wt fork oil with my progressives, seems to be the recommended weight on the American boards. The progressives make a big difference to the handling. If you have the money, go for a 450ias progressive rear shock as well.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

15w is perfect for the Progressives. Just make sure you have someone to help you push the caps back on as the Progressives area real swineto push against when refitting the threaded caps.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the tips. Managed to get the job done, tonight, without too much drama. Had problems with the cap bolt slipping off the top of the springs when I was trying to put it back in. Used a piece of 40mm pvc pipe, that was just long enough for the spring and cap. This just kept everything in line while my son and I pressed down and it prevented the cap from slipping off sideways. I also marked the top of the cap at the point where the thread would start. The first one took a couple of goes as it felt like the threads had crossed and I didn't want to force it. The second one went in first try.

Haven't taken it for a test ride but hopefully I will get the improvement that others have spoken about.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Taken the bike for a test ride with the new Progressive Springs. What a difference!! I really like it. Much firmer in the front and feels more positive in the corners.

Now to save up for the rear suspension....

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

I'm also going to put progressive springs in my 84 aspencade this weekend

when I replace a leaking seal. I have a shop manual on the way that might not get

here by then. Can anyone tell me if 15w is correct for the fork oil. I check

with the honda dealer today, and they didn't have 15w. The service man

checked his shop manuel and it said the 84 used ATF in the forks.

Is this correct and if so, are there any special brand.

Thanks,

Wayne C.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Wayne, fork oil is indeed ATF, but don't go to a car shop and buy ATF as you won't know the weight of the oil. Only the ATF packed in the motorcycle fork oil cans tells you the weight, so buy it from a bike shop.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Hey Wayne,

Ihave the 1200 Haynes manual on CD. If you would like me to e-mail the relevent pages to you covering the fork stripdown, let me know and I will do it tomorrow (getting a bit late now so I won't see any replies form you until tomorow).

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

Thanks Ambrose for the info. Now just to find it in East Tennessee. Most of the bike

shops in my neck of the woods only have 5 or 10 W fork oil.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

15 weight fork oil is perfect for the GL1200. Don't use any heavier (some people use 10w with Progressives) or the front end will be too hard.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Wayne,

I sent the pages earlier, they are probably snailing their way across now (about a megabyte in total). I hope they help.

BTW, 10w oil is okay with Progressives. Only downside is that it breaks down faster than 15w, so it would be worth your while shopping a bit further afield for 15w.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.