Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

[align=left]Has anyone installed these progressive springs with new bearings. I'm thinking of putting them on my new 08 Gl 1800 but don't know how difficult or easy it is. I would also like to know if it made a difference to those who did it.
[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Eugene. You might get differing opinions on this. I had Progressives in my 1800 and found them way too hard for my liking. They make a big difference to the gl1500 but I don't think the 1800 needs them. They are easy to fit, the hard part is getting the fork caps back in place as the Progressives are very strong and hard to push down.
After about 2000 miles I removed them and just replaced the fork oil with 20w instead of 15w and that firmed the front end up without making it too hard.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Welcome Dundey Mack...
I have installed he Progressive springs in the front forks of my 2005 Wing and couldent be more happy. I found that the ride is just a bit firmer than the stock springs and in a good way. The stock springs would bottom out if I hit just a small hole in the road and when I rode up into my driveway. The road curb to my driveway is a slight bump of less than 1 1/2 inches or 45 cm. With the Progressive's, I have a nice controlled ride. Smooth in the twisties and a much better feel of the road surfaces. The ride is not harsh. I feel that the stock springs were just a bit too mushy.
The springs can just be dropped in. Be sure to have the front wheel up off the ground so that the forks are fully extended. It is recommended that the fork oil also be changed. But if you just want to try the springs out... simply take 20 minutes to drop in a set and take it for a test ride. That is what I did 10,000 miles ago and I am still satisfied.:action:

Oh by the way.... I stopped by your town on a recent visit to Ireland. Rental car tho! Love the "roundabouts"! Beats our long waits for traffic lights here in the states!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Anyone else got any views on this as I am also about to go down the route of installing a set of progressive springs on my 1800. Still not 100% sure whether it will make a difference or not. I am considering it as I will be working on the front end next week installing a set of 'Allballs Tapered Steering Stem bearings' having just bought the bearings and a bearing socket tool. I thought if I am going to get to grips with the front end I might as well do the springs at the same time as I change the fork oil.

Any other 1800 owners who have the progressives in unhappy with them.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

[align=left]Thanks for your reply it was very helpfull.
Eugene.
[/align]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.