Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

The big guy gl1100 wrote:
Progressive Suspension Fork Springs Goldwing GL1100
are these of any use or just more weight??

Neil
Not sure what you mean by " just more weight " They dont weigh substantially any more then the stock springs , which are actually 2 springs in each fork . Do they allow you to carry more weight on the bike ? I am not sure of that . They do provide a better ride . They also might raise the height of your bike a bit because your stock springs are likely 25 yrs old or more and tired ( sagging ) . Some folks find they can also run less air pressure in the forks with progressives .

I bought mine at the link you provided . No problems with them .

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I have Progressive springs in my forks from a PO. I don't run any air in my forks and my ride is just fine.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

My 1100A suffered from a bad case of nose dive when stopping, especially when going down hill. One of the 1st things I did was swap the stock springs for progressives. Big difference! I would recommend you do this. Obviously Honda recognized the '82 and earlier had this issue as the '83's had the "anti-dive" Trac forks.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

What I meant is that are they just an add on that dosent work well just adds more weight to the bike!! I am big guy at 6'3" and I have the front forks pumped up pretty high and I dont what to mess with the forks If they dont work. but its sound like I could use these.
Neil

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Trust me, you want them. Just added them, the air shocks by Progressive and a new rear tire. Feel like I'm riding a different bike and it's all goood!!!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

my stock 91 1500 springs(no air assist) stunk for 10 yrs....i put progressives and wow what a difference...it handled....do yourself a favor and put em in...not heavier at all
i had to put lotsa air in my 11,12's cause im 6'12:D

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

The springs are inside the forks-- which means disassembling the front end. The progressive rate springs replace your present springs, recommend new fork seals at the same time. They really work. I also rebuilt my rear shocks with new seals & fluid -- that makes a difference too.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

progressives are very much an improvment over stock. i put a set in an 82 interstate this spring for a customer and they made a huge difference in the ride and handling of the bike, however they did make a little noise. i also put a set in my 83 and they make no noise at all.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I found out the front air system on my 83 is pretty much useless. The springs have more than enough force to soak up bumps without bottoming, and I ride two-up most of the time. The Progressives in my Magna were really nice though, so I can't see how they would do nothing but help in the GW.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

I had a 1200 and a 1500. Both bikes suffered from poor handling in my estimation.

Both bikes did a yo yo dance between shifts under medium to heavy throttle. I drive in heavy city traffic and lots of heavy throttle is required to keep/slow down with the crazy drivers we have here.

I put progressive springs and new slider bushings on both bikes. In both cases, it stopped the yo yo up/dn dancing. I hated that!

It improved the handling tremendously. Made the front end "tighter" and the steering more responsive.

JMO and YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

just about any seals will work ok for the spec. but i think ther are some red or blue color super duper ones that are the latest hype...look into it....15 wt i use the heavyest oil..... and do the sliders too...only a few dollars more while its apart...very simple to install and will be done right... if worn out and not replaced the seals will wear out sooner....oh put a big rag over the caps when you remove them and i hope your as big as you say.... to reinstall them.....there are jigs that can be made cheap see exavid fork cap tool ....or get someone to help and go for it!!...you dont want to cross the threads...and put a 1/8" pipe tap hole in the center and plug it.....for the next oil change.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

CometRanch wrote:
The springs are inside the forks-- which means disassembling the front end. The progressive rate springs replace your present springs, recommend new fork seals at the same time. They really work. I also rebuilt my rear shocks with new seals & fluid -- that makes a difference too.
Huh? All you do is unscrew the top cap and pull the old springs out. Not major surgery....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.