Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Aloha,

Here goes.......I ordered a pair of PS air shocks that they say fit my '84.they measure 14.25" eye center to eye center. The stock shocks on the bike measure 13.5" eye to eye.

The PS shocks are too long to swing into position on the mount clevis with the swing arm at its lowest position. PS insists that the 14.25" measurement is correct and that there is no 13.5" option for the '84.

I have been a bike mechanic so I am not uninformed in such things.....but I am at a loss to understand the fitment problem. It could be something obvious I'm just not seeing.

Anyone else experience this problem? HELP!!!!!!:?

Roadkiil

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Dunno which modle you have, but perhaps there is a Preload Adjustment on them? If so, then perhaps by adjusting That, then the length will change.

(Grasping at straws)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Maybe a PO replaced the original shocks with shorter shocks to make up for being short in stature.
Welcome and Aloha to you Roadkill,

Do you have the rear wheel off?
Is the bike on the c-stand or a bike jack?
The swing arm should swing down that far. If the wheel is on, maybe your c-stand mount is rusted and the c-stand is going past the stop pad point from being weak and rolling backwards. There are a few posts on that having happened, you might ought to check that out, I hope you have a bike jack as it would be wise if that is the case. You should use a bike jack, pull the wheel and do a good inspection of the frame back under there. And don't be Shopkilt.
Hope that helps bro.
God Bless

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

13.5" is the stock length and from the PS site
The shock recommended is slightly longer than stock. This may alter the head angle slightly and give somewhat quicker steering. Extended clearances should be checked as well.
As Stu said you'll have to find out why the swingarm won't go down enough to install them.

Also be aware that the "somewhat quicker steering" will make the dreaded 20-30mph tank slappers more likely to happen.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

They shoud fit.:? This is their link for specs.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/7100-105.pdf

Part # ...........ExtL....CompL.....Trvl ...... rate
416-1626A---13.90---10.47-------3.43----125/180
416-1641A---14.20---10.77-------3.43----125/180

:readit:

Also check: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/prodSearchResults.aspx?yearID=1985&makeID=40&modelID=441

:?
My'85 1200A has worn a set of the 14" (was once anyway, now listed as 13.90 I see) since 1997. Inever remove both hands from the handlebars while moving, though one is frenquently removed. Steering / turn in is better, but no wobbles.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the replies.

Rear wheel is off, all mounts for trunk and bag mounts removed. C stand is fine. Swing arm rests on the muffler housing so it seems to be down all the way. Having changed many tires on these It all came apart as I remember all that had come before.

Bike is safely on a floor jack as the front wheel is off also for tire/fork spring replacement. Am doing wheel bearings and brake pads also.

It is just odd that PS wouldn't offer the stock length. Could someone confirm my stock measurement of 13.5? Thanks

Roadkiil

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Ken did confirm 13.5" stock above.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Crystalpistol,

Well it sounds like it is just me. Hmm further investigation is needed on the bike. I have received the answer I was seeking. That they are confirmed the correct shocks and it is something with the bike but they should fit.

The back of the mounting clevis is not open otherwise they would rotate into position.

Thanks Newday for the confirmation.

I'm cleaning up the wheels best I can before I put them back on....only so much you can do with them.

Roadkill

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Roadkill, I did some more looking and find conflicting information in the listings I had downloaded some time back, so the numbers I posted earlier were maybe backwards. I tend to believe the post above is correct .... will look more.

I know mine are 14.0 " long and I've never tried to press the swing arm lower for the longer 14.20 or 14.25" length shocks. However, we don't ride with them "extended".

What I would suggest is .... just using a brake spoon or small flat prybar to leverage the lower eye up over the rear lip into the pocket. You'll just be compressing the spring 1/4" maximum. Once loaded the 1/4" length will likely prove an advantage when putting a loaded GL1200 A up on the center stand. You can still adjust ride height to suit, at worst it bottoms out 1/4" sooner. I know if what you have is either one of the numbers, they will fit.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

CrystalPistol,

That is what I had thought I would try first after looking at the swing arm travel. I am nothing if not resourceful.

Thanks,

Roadkiil

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

stock GL1200 shocks are around 13.75 c/c,therefore the 1626A shocks would be standard but that's not what progressive says,somewheres in the past someone made a goof when entering information into their catalog and after years and years no one is gonna change their mind
i've rebuilt over 4 sets of stock 1200 shocks and have two sets here completely rebuilt using progressive internal springs and both sets are 13.75 +/- an 1/8"
that's why when you put on progressives the rear tires normally are still lightly on the ground,stock shocks normally have 1/4-1/2" clearance when on c/c stand
if you look at all the shocks that progressive sells for the GL1100-1200 all the shocks have different lengths c/c but the travel is all the same

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

neoracer wrote:
stock GL1200 shocks are around 13.75 c/c,therefore the 1626A shocks would be standard but that's not what progressive says, somewheres in the past someone made a goof when entering information into their catalog and after years and years no one is gonna change their mind
i've rebuilt over 4 sets of stock 1200 shocks and have two sets here completely rebuilt using progressive internal springs and both sets are 13.75 +/- an 1/8"
that's why when you put on progressives the rear tires normally are still lightly on the ground,stock shocks normally have 1/4-1/2" clearance when on c/c stand
if you look at all the shocks that progressive sells for the GL1100-1200 all the shocks have different lengths c/c but the travel is all the same

You're right, years ago, in Progressive's catalogs, somehow the numbers for the two got mixed up in the specs / apps.I had several notes on it and was looking back at them in my first post here in this threadand saw afterwards that the lists as copied straight from Progressive, some from years ago, conflicted and so I made some edits.

Mine are 14" center to center 416-1626A shocks (looked up reciept, was 1996, under $300 totalfor shocks, air line kit to adapt, fork springs, and TAX!)and I didcut about 5/8" off my center stand's height a fewyears ago (sectioned out just above feets and rewelded feets on which would have dropped the rear wheel near an inch .... I'll have to measure the CS point in relation to WB to say for sure) and my currentrear MV85-15 tire just barely touches pavement where as it once was nearer an inch off.

The original size 150/90-15 tirewas taller profile and not as far off the floor with the stock center stand. I can place the center stand on a piece of 1/8" thick white plastic likestuff and the tire clears the floor and that's how I spin it 180 degrees in the basement.

I'm guessing that when I swap in that 1500 final drive / wheel / brake / and tire, it'll be like a "ride off center stand".

:thumbsup:

Pic below is one I had handy, you can see the rear tire is touching the floor. The center stand you can see how close the "step pad" is to the foot on the left side. The crossbar and link between is added for O/N parking at motels, etc. Easily removable and locking if desired.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Neoracer,

Thank you for a logical explanation. It just didn't seem right to have an obvious difference. I can work with it. I was thinking of rebuilding mine but for the difference in cost I decided on the PS rout.

I am putting in PS fork springs also. In the instructions it says that the new fork springs displace more volume than the originals. How much less fork oil by volume should be used?

By the way I LOVE your stable. I almost purchased a very nice SEI years ago but the potential electronic issues made me think twice and I got an Aspencade instead. To me these are the best bikes on the planet. I have owned over 50 different ones in my lifetime.

Ride on,

Roadkiil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.