Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, I currently tour 25K miles/year on a Moto Guzzi but I found a 1986 Interstate locally that looks very good with 32k miles.

Are there any known or common issues with this bike I should know about?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, the main thing to check with them is the big connector on the cable going between the alternator and the battery, most people remove it and solder the wires direct, as long as the bikes been looked afte rthere should be no real problems

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

edpare,

Go to this site, http://www.gl1200goldwings.com

It is loaded with info about the GL1200. They are great bikes, but like derekhendry indicated, the connector (actually the three yellow wires coming from the alternator) is a common fault for these bikes. Easy to fix by eliminating the hard connection with a good solder joint and shrink wrap tubing.

I have had my 1200 for a year now, and have loved every mile and minute spent riding on it.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

there is a buyers tips area for all different Wings on this forum. 1200's have had some issues with failing stators but the bike is awesome. engine & tran life will go way past most other models without requiring a re build. power & torque is superior than most bikes, but I feel a little cramped if I have the bread maker out!:cheeky1:

welcome to the forum, ask lots of questions here & you get lots of answers!!!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I can't give you any specific advice about the 1200, but I can give you advice about making the jump to a GoldWing. I just bought an 1100 a few weeks back and I love it. My Suzuki Bandit had seen more modifications than I can recall trying to make it a do everything bike. Perhaps if I was shorter, I could have been comfortable on it all day. Alas, I am not. On the other hand, the second I sat on my 1100 (in the previous owners garage) everything fell right to hand. On my first test ride in cold temps, I liked the wind protection.

Best of all, there is a great web community of folks who can help you with everything from where to get deals on chrome and fancy lights to how to tear down the engine if you need it and everything in between. I am thrilled to be a new member of this community.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

the connector to the regulator needs to be cut and sodered too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.