Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I just picked up a 90 1500SE with 34k miles. Missing the left front fender cover. Crazy thing snaps on like a side cover, into one of those grommets. Anybody have one? Pearl white. What a phenominal bike, compared to the LTD. Better handling, smoother, quieter, more bottom end. No engine complaining, like the 4 cyl. Just smooth, smooth, smooth. I think I will sell my LTD, and Interstate. I've read that the LTD will outrun 1500, but I knolw my LTD won't outrun this one. What's your thoughts on that, Paul? And it runs pretty good. Maybe this 1500 has had some trick stuff done. Boy, this rig sure is clean, even under the covers. Like it's never been in the rain. I don't particularly like the view in the handlebar base area, but I spose I'll get used to it. Maybe in a year, or so, I can up to a 07 1800. (in my dreams) LOL I have a lot of LTD electronic related parts, if anyone needs something, including 3 ecu's. Also have 2 heads, very good shape, with cams. Right one is the LTD cam. Lots of sensor stuff, and cpl of back-rests.

Hey, Paul. You gonna make the Diamond lake run?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
I've read that the LTD will outrun 1500, but I knolw my LTD won't outrun this one. What's your thoughts on that, Paul?
Hey, Paul. You gonna make the Diamond lake run?
You're going to enjoy the new bike. I'm pretty sure my SEI would get the jump on the 1500 for power, especially in the mountains at a bit of altitude the fuel injection had the advantage. The only other thing you'll notice is the 1500 is a bit cold blooded, you'll need to warm it up a bit to keep it happy whereas the LTD/SEI didn't care if it was hot or cold, just ran fine either way. I like the handling better with the 1500, it feels lighter for some reason. It's a much simpler bike to work on compared to the 1200s. I've put about 12,000 miles on mine since February. Sure like the way the trunk and side bags open, no lids to handle. I plan to add an oil pressure and voltmeter from Firecreek to my bike, I miss that info. Also miss the gear indicator. The OD light will tell you when in top gear, when the speedo needle and tach needle are parallel it's in fourth. You'll find this bike runs at lower rpms than the 1200, around 3200 at 70mph. I commonly slow down to 35 without downshifting from 5th, it will pull right back up smartly. Lots less shifting on this bike.

Don't know if I'm going to be able to make Diamond, but will be in Medford for a couple days next month for sure. Bringing my camper, might drag the bike along.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
I just picked up a 90 1500SE with 34k miles.
Hey Oregonwinger :waving:Congrats on your new purchase:15white:Wishing you many safe (s)miles and many long journeys. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

Greetings to all,

Being the fortunate owner of a '92 1500 and an '05 1800 I feel qualified to add my 2 centsworth. I must admit that I think the 1500 faring is better looking, but every time I go out to my garagewith the intention of taking the 1500 for a spin I end up taking the 1800. I find it a lot more easier to handle as the steering seems lighter andthe seat is also a little lower which I prefer although her indoors in the passenger seat says she gets a bit of wind buffeting. Also and most important the seat is much more comfortable. I suppose it all comes down to personal choice as towhich model we prefer. Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all liked the same things? Anyway it's eight in the morning here, I've got a day off work, the weather is awesome and I have to make that decisionagain,,, wonder which bike to take. See ya later.

Regards,

JohnS

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Paul. What do your gears sound like? This one doesn't whine. More like it has sand for lube. Any ideas. Probably get a oil sample done. PM me, if you're in Medford before next Thursday.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
Paul. What do your gears sound like? This one doesn't whine. More like it has sand for lube. Any ideas. Probably get a oil sample done. PM me, if you're in Medford before next Thursday.
The 4th gear whine is the most noticeable, it's just a minor whine doesn't sound as bad as sand. The bike does sound a bit like a turboprop when winding up for a fast merge on the freeway. Still not sure when I'll get down your way, lots of variables right now.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

cbhon wrote:
Greetings to all,

Being the fortunate owner of a '92 1500 and an '05 1800 I feel qualified to add my 2 centsworth. I must admit that I think the 1500 faring is better looking, but every time I go out to my garagewith the intention of taking the 1500 for a spin I end up taking the 1800. I find it a lot more easier to handle as the steering seems lighter andthe seat is also a little lower which I prefer although her indoors in the passenger seat says she gets a bit of wind buffeting. Also and most important the seat is much more comfortable. I suppose it all comes down to personal choice as towhich model we prefer. Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all liked the same things? Anyway it's eight in the morning here, I've got a day off work, the weather is awesome and I have to make that decisionagain,,, wonder which bike to take. See ya later.

Regards,

JohnS
Now you're just showing off John, aren't you? Fact is, you must be filthy rich, if you can afford to have both fuelled up and ready to go, with the price of fuel as it is!!

Couldn't you make your descision based on something like.... the 1500 for the North Island and the 1800 for the South? Or is it more..... "we take the 1800 if we are likely to see Andrew on our travels"

Must be like having two wives really, " do I go out with the stunning new model, or do I take the slightly moth eaten older lady, who still looks good even after many years?"

Don't forget, if you buy all these extras for the 1800, you should at least treat the 1500 to some bits too, must treat each equally, or there will be trouble!!

Pete

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

Now I won't call anybodies Gold-wing ugly. Sounds like fighting words to me. I refer to my bosses 1800 as the X wing after Star Wars because it is fast and kind of spacey. But every body knows that the Sexiest Gold Wing ever made was the GL1200LTD.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
,,,I have found that it is mostly people who cannot afford an 1800 are the ones who say they are ugly ,,,maybe I am wrong ...but I dont think so :D:D:D:D:D:waving:
I can't afford one but I would love to have one. I don't think that they are one bit "ugly".As far as I am concerned, you are indeedwrong. :tongue:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Well, I don't think any GoldWing is ugly, I can't afford a new one, and I'm happy with my old one. I wish I could afford a new one, I wouldn't turn one down.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Well, I don't think any GoldWing is ugly, I can't afford a new one, and I'm happy with my old one. I wish I could afford a new one, I wouldn't turn one down.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:
Ditto Glester. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.