Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Pulled a Rookie Mistake Today . . . . . . . .

5K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  PapaCookieJar 
#1 ·

So, I have been riding bikes since 1968, 50 years. Over those years I have owned and ridden many bikes.

Today I was out West for a ride and stopped for a drink of water and a leg stretch. After I was finished I mounted up and tried to start the bike, nothing just nothing. I had just stopped about 30 minutes before and started with no problem.

So I fussed with the key, I fussed with the shifter, I fussed with the reverse lever, I fussed with just about everything I could think of to no avail. So I grabbed my water bottle and had another drink and walked around the bike, don't know what I expected to see.

But I did see something, the kill switch was flipped to one side, Rookie Mistake. I never use the thing, to shut off the bike I just leave it in gear and put the side stand down.

Oh well that is better than trouble shooting and chasing electrical gremlins !

See less See more
#6 ·
I never use that damn off/on/off switch
I have been tempted to bypass it permanently, and then watch and wait for the Open Mouths that watch me start the bike and ride off....

they know they turned it to OFF.....

some time back, someone turned it off for me as a joke, but that day, I was not in any humor for folks messing with my bike.
and I let be known, that friends do NOT screw around with someone else's bikes, period...

I did not take it well that day. that bike has never refused to start in 2 years.

#8 ·
I've NEVER done that once!
3 or 4 times maybe, but not once!

#11 ·
Engine cutoff switch

I also hate using the "kill switch".

But, when I taught the MSF course we had to call it the "engine cutoff switch".
@#% lawyers!

Anyway the rational for using the engine cutoff switch was, in an emergency, or a tip over, you would instinctively hit the cutoff switch instead of the key switch. Save your engine etc....

If a real emergency happened to me the last thing I would be worried about is the bike! My concerns would be, in the following order.

1. Did any of my buddies see that?
2. Is my arse still attached, do I have all my appendages?
3. Am I drawn to any bright lights?
4. What's that loud noise? (the bike running wild in background)
5. Oh yeah, the bike!
6. Where's that damn kill switch? (I mean engine cutoff switch)

Rayjoe

#15 ·
I have ridden since the Mid 1970's and I can't recall a single time I needed the Kill Switch. IMO they could be discontinued and no one would miss them, in fact some folks would be glad to see them go.

#16 ·
Happened to me this past weekend in the grocery store parking lot. Was about to call my wife for a rescue when I noticed the kill switch. Pretty sure somebody was fooling with the switches while I was inside as I, like others have said, never use it myself. I always use the side stand as an engine stop, then turn off the key. That way I don't take my hands off of the grips until the bike is resting on the side stand.

#17 ·
I use the stop switch regularly and it's near second nature to check it at start time. Usually though, as soon as bike is stopped, engine dead, and just before hopping off, I'll flip it back to on position. Just old habit on the wing.

#18 ·
We babysit our 3-year-old grandson 3 days a week, and whenever he gets out into the garage he climbs all over the bike - switching every switch he can. I've learned to do a full pre-flight inspection every time I start the bike. You only have to be awakened by a full-volume radio once to start doing a pre-flight!!

#22 ·
Just had to check that today....
on our little Piaggio MP3 scooter.

it has been setting in the Toy Hauler a long time, and only ridden for very short trips....
the starter had a very distinct " oh, I am soooo tired, are you sure you want me to start? " sound to it.. :)

so, in the shop it went, and got an IV injection from the Battery Tender.... :)

I was surprised and happy to find that Vespa installs the standard two wire battery connector under the seat for a Battery Tender.... wonder if that means something???

ya suspect a lot of little scoots don't get ridden far enough to keep them charged up?

#23 ·
Back in 09 I bought a new 09 Kawasaki Concours1400 from a dealer about 60 miles away, On the way home I stopped for a bite to eat. went to start the bike and nothing happened, After a few choice thoughts I found I had hit the kill switch.

We all have probably done that at 1 time or another.

#24 ·
I understand the kill switch, but would prefer they used the old school dirtbike push button type. Easy enough to kill the engine yet no way to leave them in the off state by accident. I can't say I use that switch either. Like others have mentioned I usually use the key if I'm parking in the garage in neutral, and the side stand if I am going to leave it in gear as a parking brake.
When I was young I was moving my dad's CB500 four and used the kill switch to stop it, leaving it in the off position. The next morning when my dad went to leave, he tried and tried to start it, even going so far as to try bump starting down the steep hill we lived on. After pushing the bike back up the hill he woke me up and yelled at me about why his bike wouldn't start. I had never seen him so mad before. I suspect that incident is another reason I have been conditioned against ever using that kill switch. ;)

#37 ·
Did you see the video of the woman trying to kick start her scooter using the center stand?

https://www.jukinmedia.com/licensing/view/922013
I can see it all now.

She is in a hospital bed recovering from her rear ending another vehicle.
She tells all her visitors that the bike has ABS, AUTOMATIC BREAKING SYSTEM.
She claims the ABS must be faulty because the bike would not stop itself.
:smile2:

#29 ·
I have also fallen foul of the kill switch , one time I accidentally hit it while going round a roundabout and the engine just died mid lean . Luckily it was early in the morning and very little traffic .I got the clutch in quick enough so it just coasted round to a kerb and then realized what I'd done . Didn't actually have to change my underwear but damn close .

MW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.