Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Pulled a Rookie Mistake Today . . . . . . . .

5K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  PapaCookieJar 
#1 ·

So, I have been riding bikes since 1968, 50 years. Over those years I have owned and ridden many bikes.

Today I was out West for a ride and stopped for a drink of water and a leg stretch. After I was finished I mounted up and tried to start the bike, nothing just nothing. I had just stopped about 30 minutes before and started with no problem.

So I fussed with the key, I fussed with the shifter, I fussed with the reverse lever, I fussed with just about everything I could think of to no avail. So I grabbed my water bottle and had another drink and walked around the bike, don't know what I expected to see.

But I did see something, the kill switch was flipped to one side, Rookie Mistake. I never use the thing, to shut off the bike I just leave it in gear and put the side stand down.

Oh well that is better than trouble shooting and chasing electrical gremlins !

See less See more
#30 ·
Well kill switch is rather visible that said however same has happened to me and was very frustrating to a rookie owner of a Goldwing who had no idea where all the do dads were. The worst thing that has happened to me regarding buttons that your keep machine from running is the Reverse button. Someone played that joke on me on my first 1800. Took a while to figure that one out !!!!!

#31 ·
If you all use it regularly, it'll be second nature to you. If you don't use it, you just make pranks easier.

BTW, I have used it to kill the engine while holding the front brake & needing my hand on right side brake lever when my left was holding clutch in.. Was/is easy with just a "brush" of the thumb.

#32 ·
Ahhh Yes...the old kill switch scare!

After riding for 50+ years I still consciously think of myself as a "rookie" and it seems to keep me a bit more aware of the pitfalls.

#33 ·
I have done that also. But you said you leave the bike in gear and put the side stand down. That is not a good idea. A buddy does that and more than once he forgot to turn the ignition off, ended up with a dead battery.

#34 ·
The key does not stay with the bike, it goes with me. Home in the garage or out on a ride. The reason for in gear an kickstand down is to keep the Wing from rolling.

#36 ·
Years ago when i rode the 750 to work. I got off work and it wouldn't start. I almost ran the battery down until i FINALLY saw the kill switch.. I found the culprit that thought it was funny and chewed him a new one. You don't screw with someone's vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.