Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Been there too, I have a 5 year old who, all of a sudden is interested in bikes,( mostly the kill switch). So I tend to check the switch especially when she spends the weekend!

Just had to check that today....
on our little Piaggio MP3 scooter.

it has been setting in the Toy Hauler a long time, and only ridden for very short trips....
the starter had a very distinct " oh, I am soooo tired, are you sure you want me to start? " sound to it.. :)

so, in the shop it went, and got an IV injection from the Battery Tender.... :)

I was surprised and happy to find that Vespa installs the standard two wire battery connector under the seat for a Battery Tender.... wonder if that means something???

ya suspect a lot of little scoots don't get ridden far enough to keep them charged up?

Back in 09 I bought a new 09 Kawasaki Concours1400 from a dealer about 60 miles away, On the way home I stopped for a bite to eat. went to start the bike and nothing happened, After a few choice thoughts I found I had hit the kill switch.

We all have probably done that at 1 time or another.

I understand the kill switch, but would prefer they used the old school dirtbike push button type. Easy enough to kill the engine yet no way to leave them in the off state by accident. I can't say I use that switch either. Like others have mentioned I usually use the key if I'm parking in the garage in neutral, and the side stand if I am going to leave it in gear as a parking brake.
When I was young I was moving my dad's CB500 four and used the kill switch to stop it, leaving it in the off position. The next morning when my dad went to leave, he tried and tried to start it, even going so far as to try bump starting down the steep hill we lived on. After pushing the bike back up the hill he woke me up and yelled at me about why his bike wouldn't start. I had never seen him so mad before. I suspect that incident is another reason I have been conditioned against ever using that kill switch. ;)

I have also fallen foul of the kill switch , one time I accidentally hit it while going round a roundabout and the engine just died mid lean . Luckily it was early in the morning and very little traffic .I got the clutch in quick enough so it just coasted round to a kerb and then realized what I'd done . Didn't actually have to change my underwear but damn close .

MW

Well kill switch is rather visible that said however same has happened to me and was very frustrating to a rookie owner of a Goldwing who had no idea where all the do dads were. The worst thing that has happened to me regarding buttons that your keep machine from running is the Reverse button. Someone played that joke on me on my first 1800. Took a while to figure that one out !!!!!

If you all use it regularly, it'll be second nature to you. If you don't use it, you just make pranks easier.

BTW, I have used it to kill the engine while holding the front brake & needing my hand on right side brake lever when my left was holding clutch in.. Was/is easy with just a "brush" of the thumb.

Ahhh Yes...the old kill switch scare!

After riding for 50+ years I still consciously think of myself as a "rookie" and it seems to keep me a bit more aware of the pitfalls.

I have done that also. But you said you leave the bike in gear and put the side stand down. That is not a good idea. A buddy does that and more than once he forgot to turn the ignition off, ended up with a dead battery.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I have done that also. But you said you leave the bike in gear and put the side stand down. That is not a good idea. A buddy does that and more than once he forgot to turn the ignition off, ended up with a dead battery.

The key does not stay with the bike, it goes with me. Home in the garage or out on a ride. The reason for in gear an kickstand down is to keep the Wing from rolling.

Years ago when i rode the 750 to work. I got off work and it wouldn't start. I almost ran the battery down until i FINALLY saw the kill switch.. I found the culprit that thought it was funny and chewed him a new one. You don't screw with someone's vehicle.

Did you see the video of the woman trying to kick start her scooter using the center stand?

https://www.jukinmedia.com/licensing/view/922013
I can see it all now.

She is in a hospital bed recovering from her rear ending another vehicle.
She tells all her visitors that the bike has ABS, AUTOMATIC BREAKING SYSTEM.
She claims the ABS must be faulty because the bike would not stop itself.
:smile2:

I never use that damn off/on/off switch
I have been tempted to bypass it permanently, and then watch and wait for the Open Mouths that watch me start the bike and ride off....

they know they turned it to OFF.....

some time back, someone turned it off for me as a joke, but that day, I was not in any humor for folks messing with my bike.
and I let be known, that friends do NOT screw around with someone else's bikes, period...

I did not take it well that day. that bike has never refused to start in 2 years.
Why have friends then if they can't screw with you?:laugh:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.