Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does pulling a trailer effect the way you ride? What about mpg and power for hills? I am guessing the type of trailer and wheels makes a big difference?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I pulled a trailer on a 4K mile trip, and it did affect my mileage by about 25% at least. Hills were no problem, the bike has plenty of power. I did lengthen my tongue by almost 2 feet, which helps quite a bit. Keeps the swaying down.

You do have to be careful making sharp parking lot turns. The trailer will kind of tug on you as it straightens out to just remind you it's there...

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

You also need to plan for longer stopping distances........I pull my trailer across the country, I lose about 3 MPG but you can't even tell it's there until you come to a stop.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

WE HAVE PULLED OUR TRAILER 10S OF THOUSANDS OF MILES, AND SEE NO DIFFERENCE IN MILEAGE OR HANDLING. OF COURSE I HAVE A UNIGO.

Mick:cooler:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

just be careful how you load the trailer to keep the tongue weights within limits, increase stopping distance, other than that, have fun.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

Please don't anyone take this the wrong way...kinda old school...if you need more storage space than the goldwing offers...you either have too much stuff or need to take a car....keep it light, simple, get real about what you really need to drag around....IMO..Mick

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Oops, I took it the wrong way..... just kidding.

I have a trailer, I made one of the ones with the Harbor Freight and the Sears car top carrier.

I actually get lots of use out of it. So far I have only taken one trip with it. a 2000 mile trip with my wife, went up to see my family in New York state. Whenever we go, we always take one of the cars, and we pack so that we can spend the week comfortably. Plenty of clothes, with extra stuff because we don't know what we might end up doing. Have some extra shoes and nice clothes, incase we decide to go to church or out to dinner. have some bumming around clothes incase we get involved in a project around my dad's house, or my mom's house. And so on... We like to bring a couple extra pillows... I could go on... Basically we always over pack when we go up.

Well, last year we decided to take the bike. Riding two up, there's no way we could pack like we like to, so having the trailer was really nice. I had room for cold weather clothing, rain clothing, hot weather clothing. I had room to carry a cooler so that we could have snacks and drinks on the way.

Yeah, I could have bought food and drinks on the way, and we could have UPS'd the extra clothing up, but it was nice to have it with me.

But that is the only trip I have used the trailer for. And I used it because I had it.

What I really have the trailer for is for errands and carrying stuff right here in town. I get more use out of that trailer, going to Home Depot, or running down other errands.

When I need a new tire on the motorcycle, I have a spare wheel, so I throw the spare wheel in the trailer and take it down to the Honda shop. Then I bring the wheel home and install the wheel.

I helped a friend move once. They had a pick up truck, and another of their friends had a pick up truck. I showed up on my motorcycle pulling the trailer.I didn't haul much, but it was fun.

I'm the kind of guy, I love riding my bike so much that I will use the bike for any opportunity that I get. I ride to work daily. I have a car, but I put about 1,000 miles a year on the car. I put about 10,000 miles a year on the bike. Having the trailier gives me more excuses to use the bike, lot's more fun too.

Kind of silly right? But heck, that's what it's all about anyway....;)

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

I have been pulling a trailer with all my goldwings,starting with a 86 1200 aspencade,then a 93 1500 and now a 2001 1800.What I know with the 1800 you barley know you are pulling a trailer.loads of power and my gas mileage is almost the same with or without.When I ride the mountains I am careful in the turns going downhill as the trailer tends to push you to the outside of the turn if not on your toes

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Trailers scare me. I know a lot of folks use them . Not I. Not in today's world of traffic and cell phones.

If I have to take an escape route, or take the ditch, I am pretty sure of my skills to keep the bike up, jump the curb, whatever I need to do, but not with a trailer.

They just worry me is all.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

One of the many wonderful things about

pulling trailers behind bikes is,... (drum roll)...

people see you. :clapper:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,713 Posts
imported post

Well folks...

I have been doing a lot of watching on this and other threads.

I think that for me, I am almost locked in on having to pull a trailer if I'm riding double, for any distance, period.

Why? Well, my Fair Lady is an amputee. IF she wears her prosthesis, then I have to carry a walker. IF she chooses to not wear the prosthesis, then I must take the wheelchair.

But in reality, I always have to take the wheelchair because the prosthesis can only be worn for a few hours before it makes the shortened limb raw.

Her being a recent amputee, her stump has not become hardened to the use of the prosthesis.

Lots to think about for me. But, she is a great lady and refuses to allow her new situation stop us from enjoying life.

Wing on! :bat:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

FVM wrote:
With a trailer one could take along spare Wing like this...
Them cagers would definitely see you then :D:cheeky1::action:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,713 Posts
imported post

yep, that is definitely a way to keep them cagers off yer tail :D

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I have a home made trailer with a cargo box, and its great. Even used it as a grocery getter. We just pulled it on one 1500 mile trip last year, but this year going for around 3000. I had to redo the fenders on mine cause they tended to want to fall off when the welds broke(fender metal too thin) but now I have aluminum ones that bolt on so that problems gone away I hope. Wouldnt be without in now.Gotta have room for my pillow:action:!!!!!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

Just a thought when towing and hooking up the chains use plastic sip ties you NEVER want that trailor to follow you when it unhooks, ( BAD DAY ) don't you know

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Quite the contrary, I had a mishap & glad the trailer stayed. It kept the bike from whipping around due to all the extra friction on the pavement. Definitely worked as a shock absorber.

Another time doing some DANCE MOVES at 60 mph around a lot of wood blocks spilled, again the trailer worked as a shock absorber by smoothing out my twitchy handlebar inputs.

At 10 to 12 mph going around an intersection I hit some spilled gas, it'smuch slipperier than ice. Down I went & spun around 3 1/2 times. IF I had that trailer I might have spun maybe a 180.

BUT THEN, all accidents are different. Sometimes you have to JUMP OFF to the side & let the rig go, just NEVER know till it happens.

Just :clapper:ride :clapper:and :clapper:have :clapper:fun. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

Just wanted to give Az's lady a "thata girl" for not giving up and laying down.
Life goes on and it's alot better life if you live it to the fullest like she is.
Hat's off to ya...

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Well folks...

I have been doing a lot of watching on this and other threads.

I think that for me, I am almost locked in on having to pull a trailer if I'm riding double, for any distance, period.

Why? Well, my Fair Lady is an amputee. IF she wears her prosthesis, then I have to carry a walker. IF she chooses to not wear the prosthesis, then I must take the wheelchair.

But in reality, I always have to take the wheelchair because the prosthesis can only be worn for a few hours before it makes the shortened limb raw.

Her being a recent amputee, her stump has not become hardened to the use of the prosthesis.

Lots to think about for me. But, she is a great lady and refuses to allow her new situation stop us from enjoying life.

Wing on! :bat:
Way to go for the both of you! Ride away, enjoy that trailer and your life!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
imported post

Got a Piggybacker trailer last year and took it on a 5,500 mile jurney to the west coast. You forget it is there andhave to look back to see that it is there. Increase stopping distances just a little. Watch going around corners, as ya need to make em a little wider. Gas milage, I slowed down to 67 average and the milage went up! On the way back, had a flat rear tire on the bike and the trailer acted like feathers on an arrow, the swaying wasn't too bad. We made it to the side of the road safely, I think because of the trailer, and delt with the flat.

:action:Enjoy pulling a trailer.:cooldj:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.