Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My bike is in the local Honda dealer. I'm having some new wheels and tires installed. I did not buy any wheel bearings thinking they could use the existing bearings. They are telling me that pulling the existing bearings out can change the diameter and they might not seal. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I'm thinking I could pull them out without damage, but they are not acting confident. I told them to put in new bearings, but it turns out they don't stock them so I'd be without bikefor a week waiting on bearings. I told them to pull the existing bearings and use them. Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I would never reuse old bearings, once there were removed from the races. Changing tires does not require that.

Pulling the bearings out, can distort them. Removing the wheel to replace the tires, will not.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The bearings are fairly certain to get a bit damaged on removal. I've seen them being removed and it isn't what I would call a gentle process.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Yea you guys are right. The more I thought about it, the more I decided on new bearings. I told them to overnight them in and I'd pay the shipping so I can have my bike tomorrow. The riding season is gonna get short here.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

OK. Misread that. New wheels? Absolutely new bearings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.