Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I decided to pull my rear baffles out of the 1200. I did this on my 1100's and it gave them a nice throaty sound that was in no way obnoxious. I drilled out the 2 rivets on the underside at the end of the tailpipe, hooked up a pair of vice grips to the small center tube and PULLED.... and PULLED. Nothing on either side. feeling up the exhaust about 10" (25cm for those across the pond):waving:I feel a couple small dimples under the chrome that feel like spot welds. Please don't tell me these are holding my baffles in place!!!!!!!!!!!! Any hints on getting these out?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I think thats the way its made. I've seen several GL1200s with rotted tailpipes that were rotted all the way round and they still didn't fall off, probably the spot welds held them in good at the inner end.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

hitechluddite wrote:
I decided to pull my rear baffles out of the 1200. I did this on my 1100's and it gave them a nice throaty sound that was in no way obnoxious. I drilled out the 2 rivets on the underside at the end of the tailpipe, hooked up a pair of vice grips to the small center tube and PULLED.... and PULLED. Nothing on either side. feeling up the exhaust about 10" (25cm for those across the pond):waving:I feel a couple small dimples under the chrome that feel like spot welds. Please don't tell me these are holding my baffles in place!!!!!!!!!!!! Any hints on getting these out?
You could read this thread and get some ideas of how to remove them.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1303&forum_id=1&highlight=baffles

dean_3326 :12red:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Vic is the man for that one, he's done the job before. Probably rust and soot holding the thing together.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the link and help guys! I got em' just had to pound on the Visegrip's a little to jar the loose then they popped right out! I think I'll save them in case I want to run stealth in the future.....:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

you seeing any performance gains?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.