Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 99 1500 has asurging and hesistation problem, figured it was the carbs.I don't have the time to fix it so I made the appointment at the shop I bought it from. They were going to work on it yesterday, I call them today to see how things are going and the owner tells me the carbs were clean, checked the vacuum hoses and put thing back togather and stillruns like crap, but also says the exhaust goes away at higher RPMs. I'm not a rocket scientist (or a Goldwing mechanic) butthe exhaust has to go somewhere, and usually out the mufflers. He says they are now checking the PAIR control valves.

Hasanyone ever heard of this? I searched the forum and can'tanything on this. Or is he just stalling me (hopefully).

Tom

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi tom the surging can be the choke valves sticking blocked jets vacume leak , bad air filter, float hight wrong ,ect ect get him to check the air valve sub filter it has a habit of rotting and geting sucked into the air system also a lot of guys here have discovered the idle ajuster is sticking also i dont under stand the exhaust please explain this

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I was alittle baffled by the exhaust thing. He told me that at idle the engine exhausted out the mufflers as normal. When he increased the RPMs the exhaust seems to go away :?. Where does it go I asked? It has to come out somewhere. He said there is a system similar to an EGR system they need to check. I changed the sub filter, air filter, sparkplugs, I even bought a Motion Pro manometer and balanced the carbs all the easy stuff. Non of that did it. We have a trip planned in a week and I needed to get it done, so I desided to hire it done. Not that I'm rich but I hate working oncarburators. This has me puzzled, I just hope he's not trying to extort extra money out of me.

Tom

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

tom what colour are the oldplugs maybe its running lean that would account for the exhaust as the main jet only kicks in about 1500rpm with that said i have to go with the floats or the main jets are partily blocked just blowing air through them wount do any good you need to soakin carb cleaner or reem the jets out manualy as diposits can buildup on the jet walls when you look throughyou can see daylight but the diamater may be closed in

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I certainly hope he knows all that. The old plugs looked good in color, light tan. After the heavy seafoam treatment thay were clean. I changed them anyway. We'll see what he says Monday. Or maybe I'll trade for the 03 1800 he has there (wishfull thinking there......the wife says no way).

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I hope he checked the fuel filter, and the fuel pump volume and pressure. I worked on the same year wing with the same problem, ended up being the fuel filter stopped up. This was the first thing I checked after test driving, replaced filter and it ran like new

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I replaced the fuel filter........but not after the heavy dose of seafoam.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Did you check to see how much volume of fuel you had flowing from the fuel line? Somtimes you can have good fuel pressure, but not enough volume to keep the carbs full of fuel. I had this problem with my 88 wing, had all kinds of hesitation. Replaced pump and all is good.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I didn't, but I will call the mechanic in the morning. I hope doen't p..s him off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Might be something shot in the mufflers that block the exhaust when the pressure builds at higher rpm. I've seen one car that had loose baffles in the muffler that sure played havoc with driving though the engine would still idle pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.