Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

went to the Straw Hall today and while we were all looking at one anothers machines, someone looking at my 1500 spotted a huge gas in my front tyre. It was about 15mm long and 4mm wide in a sort of diamond shape and when I put a bit of paper in to see how deep it was, it turned out to be around 6-8mm deep. Too big to plug and probably almost all the way into the tyre but not losing air. Well I rode theWing home with my heart in my big gob. I don't check my tyres often and I havn't a clue how long the tyre is like this, but I will be checking better in future. Meanwhile it looks like a new tyre before I dare to ride the bike again.:crying:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey JDuggan, :baffled:Lucky escape this time. :crying:Take a foolsadvice and check your tyres for condition and air (when cold) everytime before you ride your wing. :clapper:

:waving: :18red: :18red: :18red: :18red: :grinner::18white::18blue:

wingnut redwing wexman littlejohn ??? ???

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
:18red: :18red: :18red: :18red: :grinner::18white::18blue:

wingnut redwing wexman littlejohn ??? ???
Don't forget Marky and BigAL, they are riding the fastest colour as well!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Glad you made it home safely.

I've had a tire gashed such as yours, but, unfortunately it lost all of its air at 70 m.p.h. It was all I could do to hang on and keep the bike going straight until I got slowed enough to pull off. What a wild and scary ride that was. My heart was thumping more than the flat tire. LOL I think the reason I survived is that I let the bike wobble rather than try to fight it. What I mean by this is rather than force the handlebar back and forth trying to counter act the wobble I just held my course and letthe bikedo its thing.

If anyone out here has had a similar experience I'd sure like to hear from you if you have a better approach to dealing with a blown tire at high speed.

Vic

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Hello Duggan !
Good to hear you manage it well without bringing a disaster uponyourself in a crash with the bike. I have heard one said there is two groupsof MC-riders : The first group are riders whom have been involuntarily off the bike when riding! The second group are riders whom all the timehavestayedon the bike in vertical position when riding ! From time to time I offen think:When is it my turn ? I hope it never come !

I have a question to all of you out there : Have anybody been in a situation like Duggan with a passenger ? And how did you manage that ?

In advance thanks for any answer !

All the best
Jan Jensen
Denmark

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Jan Jensen wrote:
I have a question to all of you out there : Have anybody been in a situation like Duggan with a passenger ? And how did you manage that ?
Front wheel blowout on a Noddy (CD175) at age 18. Had a girl on the back of the bike and it was in a busy part of Dublin at about 1am. Front tyre blew with a loud bang at only about 30mph and I ended up on the wrong side of the road in the path of oncoming cars. They stopped in time and when I stopped the bike was still upright.My passenger reckoned it was skill that saved us, but I always knew it was just luck as it happened so fast and I had no control over the bike with a burst front tyre.
A very lucky escape in more ways than one. The young ladies dad was a well known character with connections on the dark side of the community (and I'm not talking colour either). I'd already promised I would look after his only daughter and he extended his hand in a rare "rogues handshake", and you don't take a rogues handshake lightly - so I'm told. The possibility of seeing my 19th birthday (if his daughter had been badly hurt or worse in an accident with me) was distinctly remote. But as it was, when she went back and relayed how I had managed to avert disaster I was quite the hero then! So you see thereare happy endings after all.! :cool:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:

Front wheel blowout on a Noddy (CD175) at age 18. Had a girl on the back of the bike and it was in a busy part of Dublin at about 1am.
A very lucky escape in more ways than one. I'd already promised I would look after his only daughter and he extended his hand in a rare "rogues handshake", and you don't take a rogues handshake lightly - so I'm told.! :cool:

Hey Wingnut, :crying:Many years ago when you were 18 there was no traffic in Dublin to make it busy. :baffled:That was the time of the horse and tram and the odd Honda 50.:1000red:. The rogues handshake is still common today, :gunhead: we have to be verycautious of them. :stumped: No more horror stories please, :cooldevil:I have trouble enough trying to sleep at night. :coollep:

:18red::18red::18red::18red::18red::18red: :18white::18yellow:

Wingnut Redwing Wexman Littlejohn Marky BigAl ???? ????

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
The rogues handshake is still common today, :gunhead: we have to be verycautious of them.
The rogues handshake is definitely alive and well and probably more binding than any contract! ;)Long live the rogues handshake!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Close one Joe, nice to have got home wiyhout further event I would imagine.

As for close shaves, I had a back wheel blowout on my brothers Z1300 once. 4 of us on different bikes going over the Sally Gap in the mountains and the tyre (which wasn't new but had legal tread left) blew and the back end wallowed all over the place. I came withing a foot of going over the side and down into a stream and I had to drop the bike in the grass just before the abyss came up.Dented tank onthe bike was all, but my brother still gave me a kicking anyway.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Front wheel hit a piece of steel once on a CB900 custom at 40mph. Bike actually went from under me and flipped twice after I'd let go (glad I didn't try to hang on) and was almost a write-off. I was fine thank God for that. Fresh underwear were urgently needed though! :shock:

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
Jan Jensen wrote:
Front tyre blew with a loud bang at only about 30mph and I ended up on the wrong side of the road
Glad you managed to survive wingnut, this site would not be as good without you, but don't all you guys on the other side of the pond drive on the wrong side of the road?? :D:D

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

goldwinger wrote:
wingnut wrote:
Front tyre blew with a loud bang at only about 30mph and I ended up on the wrong side of the road
Glad you managed to survive wingnut, this site would not be as good without you, but don't all you guys on the other side of the pond drive on the wrong side of the road?? :D:D
Hey goldwinger, The two points that you mentioned here need urgent correction. :gunhead:

(1) There would be NO site here for us ungrateful sodsif the Wingnut was not around. :crying:

(2) In this little country of ours we all drive/ride on the correct side of the road, which is the left side. :clapper:

I had the misfortune a number of years ago to meet a person from your country on the incorrect side of the road and when this was mentioned to them at the scenethey said, Oh I was on my mobile phone. Ahem. !! ! Case explained. :gunhead:

:crying: :18red: :crying:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.