Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just got a puncture in my back tyre in a newish tyre with only 850ish miles. It was a nail I pulled out and I'm in a dilemma as to if I should plug it or take the wheel off and get the tyre patched from inside? Thing is, if I go to the bother of pulling the wheel out, I may be as well buying a new tyre. Any suggestions?

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I would plug it. Those plug kits the auto repair shops use are excellent and last years. Chances are the tyre will be worn out from mileage before the plug falls out.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

The only problem with a plug that may last for years, is it may let go on the Hwy at 70mph, in a car it's not nearly the porblem because there are still 3 good tires, on a bike you only have 1 good one left. In my opinion(and it is only my opinion) the only proper way to fix a flat is by a patch on the inside. Better still if you can afford it of course replacing the tire is the only way to be 100% sure of the tire.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I've used the plugs before, not the stubby ones but the long stringy ones that have most of their length inside the tyre. Less chance of them falling out. If you do decide to take the tyre off then you may as well get a patch. Less than 900 miles seems a waste if you throw the tyre away.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
Just got a puncture in my back tyre in a newish tyre with only 850ish miles. It was a nail I pulled out and I'm in a dilemma as to if I should plug it or take the wheel off and get the tyre patched from inside? Thing is, if I go to the bother of pulling the wheel out, I may be as well buying a new tyre. Any suggestions?
Go to the bother of pulling the wheel offEamonn, and buy a new tyre. It's not like a cage we dont have four tyres to depend on. It's unfortunate that this has happened with so few miles on the tyre, but dont take any chances, replace it with a new one. Ride Safe. :) :( ;)

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Cut your losses and buy a new tyre if you are doubtful. Take no chances with rubber, it just isn't worth it.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Your life is worth more than the price of a tyre ,,,get a new one ....live longer ..ciaran

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

i know its the expensive road but if you lose it on a bend what will the cost be?change the tyre and i think a tyre fitter will thank you for not using tyre weld or similar:p

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Those plugs are fine for cars, they seem to last for years. But there again you won't kill yourself in the car if a plug falls out.On the bike I suppose just use the plug to get you home and maybe until you have the money to buy the new tyre. No point in pushing your luck by leaving the plug in longer than needed.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Years ago I once had a front tire blowout, at high speed. I managed to get the bike down to about 60 mph riding on the rim before she keeled over and down I went .. ! .. Everything happened so fast I could hardly react to it. The inner tube had separated at the seam. With a tube type tire application the tire will come off the rim and you will have NO traction to keep the wheel pointed straight. With the rear tire this might not be too much of a problem to overcome but with the front tire it is absolutely critical. In my opinion tubeless tires were one of the best things to happen to motorcycles. If a blowout should occur the air loss will probably be slow and the tire will most likely stay on the rimso that you at least have some decent control until you can get the bike stopped.

A plug might be fine for a temporary fix,and apatch, 'maybe' .. I would say - don't mess around - get another new tire.

John

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

If it were the front tire, I would replace it. The rear tire can be plugged and last a long while in my opinion. The stringy fiber type plugs work very well. The best is a patch installed from the inside of the tire. Even if the patch leaked, with today’s tires you wouldn’t have a sudden loss of air pressure – it will leak out slowly. I check tire pressure every day before I ride – this practice will let you know if your patch is holding or not.

This is just my opinion and I recommend you do whatever your most comfortable with…

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Opinion seems divided on this. I have had the stringy plugs in my tyres before (bikes and cars) and never ever had one leak or fall out, even with thousands f miles on them. I wouldn't use those plugs you buy in the bike shops though (except to get me home) as they are too short for my liking.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

I agree with Eric on this. Buying a new tyre every time you get a puncture is ridiculous and wasteful. Fine if the tyre is old but a decent tyre with a normal small (under 4mm diameter) nail hole will be fine with the proper stringer repair. The stringers also stick to the tyre (in the hole and inside the tyre where they land) so are unlikely to give out over the life of the tyre. I've a friend who works in a car tyre shop and he fixes flats every day with stringers and he tells me that once the puncture is under 4mm then the stringers never come out in his long experience.
If the hole is bigger than 4mm then get the tyre patched, or replace it as your going to the trouble of taking it off for the patch anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
Just got a puncture in my back tyre with only 850ish miles. It was a nail I may as well buy a new tyre. Any suggestions?
You must be really enjoying this thread Eamonn. It's going on now for three (3) days. Have you decided what to do yet.? I will give you some more help with your decision. If your life is worth lesssssssss than 200euro put a patch or a plug in the tyre. I will leave it at that. Let us know when you decide. :( :? :shock:.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Let us know when you decide.

I ordered a new one, but I plugged the existing one for th etime being until the new tyre arrives. Besta both worlds? :?:?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
Redwing. wrote:
Let us know when you decide.

I ordered a new one, but I plugged the existing one for th etime being until the new tyre arrives. Besta both worlds? :?:?
Correct decision. Ride Safe untill you get it fitted. :D :cool:.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

THEY MAKE TWO KINDS OF STRING PLUGS, IK YOU HAVE TO USE ONE GET YHE RED ONES AND USE A LOT OF THE RUBBER CEMENT

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

All great arguments here, both pro & con, regarding plugging. I've installed plenty of plugs over the years, both cages & bikes.

The plugs can be had in varying diameters, and they are quite difficult to get installed (I've bent those installation tools at times). If those that are worried about them falling out would ever install a few, using the proper diameter for the hole diameter involved, I think there would be more consensus against them coming unplugged.

I have no quarrel with those who decide to NOT plug, it is always a good, safe decision. The thing is though, I believe the chances of getting another nail in your new tire, are at least greater than, a properly installed plug falling out.

While I am likely to be concerned over letting some high school kid or rookie practice plugging a MC tire for me, I have every confidence in my own work, as I know that all of my plugs have stayed put for the life of the tire...or my ownership ofthe machine. No fear here! :waving:

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I think Craig has the right idea. Go with your comfort level. I have seen riders do things that made me cringe as I am sure I've done things that made others cringe. In the end you have to be comfortable and ride with your decision.

Terry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.