Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at a 1993 Goldwing Interstate tomorrow, it has 35.000 miles and appears to be in good condition from the pictures. Is there anything i really to look at,that might be a problem with these bikes?

Thank you
stillhere

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
dont do it

id go for an aspencade or se

interestate has no reverse, a meager radio, no intercom, and no cruise control

you will be wishing for the reverse

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
I had one and liked it,Mine had a C/B Radio and Intercom so they do have the Intercom.just don't have reverse or cruse. It was a great bike for me and if the price is right thats low miles for a goldwing GL1500.Look the tires over,take it for a test ride.shift though the gears.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
i concur, saves the hands

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I'll second the reverse. All it takes is one time when you park on a slight downhill slope when you will miss it.
I'll also say that the cruise is nice. It feels weird having the throttle grip move though.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I am currently looking at two '88 models on Craigslist. I actually want the basic model. I don't need or want any of the extra stuff, and it is something else to go wrong. For me, "the simpler the better" is actually a way of life. If you want those extras, and are willing to deal with them, then I would look for a model that has them.

Both the bikes I looked at had those super tall windshields that almost wrap over the top of the rider. I have no idea why anyone would want such a windshield myself (other than on a car) and if I bought one of them, that would be the first thing that got changed. Definitely back to stock height.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
All personal preference, I am 6'4 and never once used the reverse on my 1500 but the cruise control is nice I like it much better than the throttle lock that's on my 85A. If it's a nice bike at the right price grab it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all, I am 6'5 @ 260 lbs reverse is not that big of a deal to me. I will miss having a cruise control, although after market will work fine. I am leaving in the morning for a 12 hours round trip drive to pick it up. I borrowed a buddies trailer to make it easier. It has 33,000 miles and ready to go. I love the color. Thank you all for your help. John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
good luck with the bike..you can always pick up a throttle lock off ebay for 25 bucks it will be money well spent.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Hi stillhere, your trip to get your "new to you" bike is similiar to when I went to get my 1500. I went about 500 miles to look at and purchase my 1500. It was just as advertised and after a checkout and test ride, I paid the guy and rode it home. I really like the 1500. Best riding bike I have owned and I have had all the Goldwing models except the 1800.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I am currently looking at two '88 models on Craigslist. I actually want the basic model. I don't need or want any of the extra stuff, and it is something else to go wrong. For me, "the simpler the better" is actually a way of life. If you want those extras, and are willing to deal with them, then I would look for a model that has them.

Both the bikes I looked at had those super tall windshields that almost wrap over the top of the rider. I have no idea why anyone would want such a windshield myself (other than on a car) and if I bought one of them, that would be the first thing that got changed. Definitely back to stock height.
I think you'll find that the 88-89's weren't that basic.Because there was only one model in those years they came loaded up for back then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
13 hours round trip,rain,snow,sleet,freezing rain and some sun shine on the way home. It has a throttle lock,hitch. Long day, things i see it needs are tires,battery,oil change,fork seals, although i got it for a pretty good deal. Time to spend some money. Do they make a tall persons seat, I sit to forward with my long legs. Gotta find some new highway pegs. Its going to clean up very nice. Very purdy !!!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
sunshine on the way home, see what a wing can do, it brightened up your day a pot of gold you have my friend enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.