Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

I have been running bi-xenon on my 1200 for about a year and a half. great light output for 40W, its even 300% better light, brighter than any 100w halogen bulb. my wing uses H4, you must check your headlamp if you can change the element only, cuz i've seen 1100 that the headlamp is a single unit and you cant just change the bulb.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've read up on some of the really expensive HID lights and wondered what amp pull they have. I sure don't want to over load my stator.

A lot of the Long Distance Riders use them for when riding at night on desolate stretches to really light up the road.

Most hook them up so they run with the low beams only.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

It would be intresting to see if they would work.....but like LIF, I wonder what kind of pull it would have on the system

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

as i said. Xenon ballast are rated to 35W. i've tested with an ampermeter and the read draw was 40W. so if you replace your stock bulb/bulbs with xenon you're actually lightening up the load by 15 watts each (in the case of the 1500s)

Here is a video i uploaded to youtube long ago, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZjyoGbaUbY&feature=channel_page please note, that when the ballast first starts, it draws more and then it stabilizes. hope this help to clear ur doubts.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I'm curious as to what the restart time is. If you turn the lamp off then back on, does it start right up?

I know that HID lamps, like mercury vapor, take up to 5 minutes or more to restart after power being cut. High pressure sodium is quicker at restarting. Metal halide taking the longest time to restrike the arc.

I read in the past that this was a problem with HID lamps in vehicles but I understand that this has improved?

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
I've read up on some of the really expensive HID lights and wondered what amp pull they have. I sure don't want to over load my stator.

A lot of the Long Distance Riders use them for when riding at night on desolate stretches to really light up the road.

Most hook them up so they run with the low beams only.
HID lights use 50% to 75% of the current that incandescent bulbs use. The headlight is one of the biggest single draws of current on the bike, so putting a HID in there would actually help.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looks good to me except I doubt a modulator could be used with them. If the power draw is lower heat shouldn't be a consideration either.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean,

Are you going to use the single kit or the dual kit ? I was thinking of getting the dual kit for the high beam. A little more light on those back country roads can't hurt.

Hickey :action:

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Also I see the kits come in 4300k - 12,000k which would be better. I'm no lighting genius.

Hickey :baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hickey wrote:
GSMacLean,

Are you going to use the single kit or the dual kit ? I was thinking of getting the dual kit for the high beam. A little more light on those back country roads can't hurt.

Hickey :action:
I've ordered a kit for my truck...I'll wait and see how it works before I consider it for my wing.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I do Chris...good memory!

I run this HID system: Xenolink.com in 6000K pure white

Pointing through this lens: Hella Vision Plus

I wouldn't trade it for the world!

I tested a thought, and etched the POW/MIA shield on the face of my headlight, and found that the HID is so bright that it didn't make a lick of difference in light dispersal.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

There is no delay on restarts, you can turn it on and off as many times you want and it wont delay. on bi-xenon setups, there is a mechanical device that moves the bulb up and down to create the high and low beam. there are some """bi"" xenon that are single beam xenon/halogen which only one of the beams is xenon, the other is regular halogen. kinda useless.

ddrumman2004 wrote:
I'm curious as to what the restart time is. If you turn the lamp off then back on, does it start right up?

I know that HID lamps, like mercury vapor, take up to 5 minutes or more to restart after power being cut. High pressure sodium is quicker at restarting. Metal halide taking the longest time to restrike the arc.

I read in the past that this was a problem with HID lamps in vehicles but I understand that this has improved?

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

William, that's what mine is, Xenon/Halogen...and you're right, the halogen side is about as useful as a candle in a windstorm.

But the good news is...I never have to use it anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
There is no delay on restarts, you can turn it on and off as many times you want and it wont delay. on bi-xenon setups, there is a mechanical device that moves the bulb up and down to create the high and low beam. there are some """bi"" xenon that are single beam xenon/halogen which only one of the beams is xenon, the other is regular halogen. kinda useless.

Thanks William! I knew at one time that this was a problem with HID headlights and that there was technology that would prevent the bulb from having to cool down before it restrikes it's arc.

I used to work in the HID business back in the 70s and learned quite a bit about mercury vapor, metal halide and high pressure sodium lamps.

Ahh...technology!

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

The web site states the bulb lasts for +3000 Hrs. but dosn't say what the life of Ignighter or Power Converter is.

Dwight

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.