Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1988 GL1500 with carbs that are developing more personality than I'd like. I have a really cherry-looking pair of 1995 carbs that I'm considering swapping into the bike, but I'm concerned that there may be problems lurking in the shadows.

The only differences I can see are the elimination of an altitude compensation vacuum circuit on the '95 and a different approach to accuating the cruise control.

Can anyone offer some insight before I waste a lot of time on this? I'd prefer to make the swap to save time and money if it will work. This is my daily commuter and I want to have the bike down for the shortest possible time. On the other hand, I value the reliability I've enjoyed so far and don't want to trade funky behavior for squirrely behavior.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Personally, I'd stick with the original carbs. Get a good original rebuild kit for each and go thru them carefully looking for any mechanical signs of wear. If no appreciable wear is found, put new rubber parts and gaskets in, adjust them precisely and drive for a few more hundred thousand miles.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The 95 carbs will fit without problems. Much better and less problems then the 88-90 carbs as all the problems were sorted by then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.