Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am still waiting on parts for my cross pipe, but I am havingn some throttle cable stickage. Does someone have a picture of where to route the throttle cables to the carbs wtihout it sticking or binding. I can pull the throttle back, but it is not snapping back as it should....I know I need to mess with it some more....Hoping it is something simple...

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I am sure the cable is being restricted somehow since the throttle used to snap back no problem before. I am just wondering if I am routing the cables through the wrong way. They need to go either over or under a bar in the frame.

I will probably to more tinkering tonight. I was hoping someone had a top view photo.

thanks...

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The outer cable neds to be tensioned (routed) properly as well. Try pulling the outer cable a bit tighter and the operate the throttle and you will see how the throttle snaps back much easier.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Ed, I went to the garage to check the routing on mine. They run as follows; From the twist grip down in front of the right shock above the fairing counter weight bracket. Around in front of the frame steering head tube, then down under the left frame down tube. From there, cross back to the right and back along side the air plenum tower to the crank wheel on the back of the carbureator array.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I am still trying to hook these carbs back together and once I put the push cable in place, the throttle does not want to snap back. I can't figure out what went wrong. The cables just sat there for a few weeks with no water getting in them. The throttle used to just snap right back no problem.

I am open to any suggestions. Maybe a new throttle cable and just start over.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Ed, it sure sounds like something is kinked. Does moving the handlebars one way or the other make a difference. Perhaps flexing the cables by hand while the throttles are hung. I don't want to sound like a smart alec but if you had the carbs completely apart, is the torsion spring correctly installed on the crank wheel?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I ended up not splitting the carbs apart, so that spring stayed in place. I have been trying to move the cables around while the throttle is stuck open,,,but it just stays there.

I wonder if something in the hand grip area needs to be corrected???

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Ed, something has to be kinked. Try taking the air cleaner housing off so you can look in there and wiggle the cables. It has to be something simple unless there is a broken cable.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Have you checked to make sure you have the cables hooked up right. It is very easy to reverse them. If thats the case they will bind. Also in Ohio with a 1977 that sat for 13 years. My carbs were a real mess. I hope to get it started soon.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Have you checked to make sure you have the cables hooked up right. It is very easy to reverse them. If thats the case they will bind. Also in Ohio with a 1977 that sat for 13 years. My carbs were a real mess. I hope to get it started soon.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

.........../forums/images/emoticons/smile.gif  COOL !/forums/images/emoticons/extrasmilies/cooler.gif Three messages from Anthony .. now we know what he is doing... lol I once had EXACTLY the same symptom  when installing,and adjusting a new Rear view mirror, on a 1200 ... I sat and thought  for several minutes.. How, How,How  could  adjusting a mirror cause this ???.... Now  coming off the  hand throttle  there are a pair of right angled turning tubes on my Wing..  I had accidently moved one.. not very much.. maybe 2 cm... and the throttle would not snap shut..  It takes just a  tiny little kink  to cause the throttle to jam..   Loosen the adjusters up, and wiggle everything from carb connection up  to handle... until it frees up .. SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.