Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After having purchased my latest Wing, an '05/ABS, I have been on another GL site, which deals with only GL1800s. It seems that they are always complaining about how Honda has not added much to the 1800 or not enough to tempt them to buy the newest, an '09 model. I find it somewhat strange because here on this site, we extole the virtues of the Wing. Every model run is different than the last and is improved. I'm on my 3rd and I can say that all three are great bikes. It seems that within our ranks there has grown a social club atmosphere and one-upsmenship is the protocol. I thought that we ride these bikes because we love to ride and these bikes, in particular offer the most comfort and versatility. I don't really care what Honda comes out with next because I love my '05 1800 and know that I will be riding it for a long long time. By the way, I still have my GL1200I and don't know if I could part with it either.

:bat:/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/bat.gif

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Well I know what site you were on because I have a grand total of about 30 posts over there and lurking some of the time. They think no other Goldwing exists besides an GL-1800. But what they don't realize is if it wasn't for the other models the 1800 wouldn't exist.

Welcome back over to the forum where it doesn't matter what model Goldwing you ride........as long as you ride!! :cooldevil:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Yeah, we do a little joking around about the differnet models here, and what color is the fastest, but we all love Wings and it don't matter to us which one you like best. Glad you decided to hang out here. :)

John

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

That is the very reason I never thought I would on a Goldwing. The sterotype I grew up knowing was the Goldwing owner thathung out at DQ compairingthe latest and greatest gizmo.If you rode anything else you were trash and Harley riders were thugs stuck in the 50's. That left a bad taste in my mouth sence I had rode with Harley guys when I was a teen on a KE100 and was very well treated by them.

For that matter I still seenew Goldwings pass the house and on the road and the most of them won't wave at me and my oldwing. But there is a pretty good group here.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I noticed that,too,Seems like all us that own older wings, would just love to have a new 1800,but we adore what we have.It's true that ALL wings have thier "gremlins", but we work em out here in our forum and cheer when someone solves a problem.I go to a trike forum once and a while and compared to here,well, it sucks hard!They are all into the newest and mostest,and if you have a bike over a year or two old, it's "junk". I love this place hands down! jimsjinx

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,661 Posts
imported post

Ya know, one day I will be looking for a "new" bike to ride.

Which year model that is, depends on "the deal" and "the condition" when I finally have money in my jeans.

I'm still waiting on the doctors to release me, so that day is "out there somewhere" so far.

Am I worried that I won't have the latest 1800 with the "most gadgets" ? Not hardly.

Am I worried that some of our forum members ride something other than a Goldwing? Nope. Could care less.

If you have the wind in your face, and you are going the same way I am, then we've got a good thing going.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
imported post

i'm not worrying over who waves or who doesn't think highly of my bikes. i could have gotten a new 1800 back in august when i got my 1500 but the looks of the 1800 still haven't grown on me. persanally i wanted a 1200 when i bought mine last year and i wanted a 1500 when i got it. i enjoy all my bikes and i'm not interested in what someone else thinks of it. you enjoy yours and i'll enjoy mine regardless of what anyone thinks of my bikes

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
imported post

i think we ride the bike we have chosen because that is the choice we made(well the wife liked the LTD and bought it for me). be it a honda , harley, or any others out there. the fact we ride is what its all about. i try to wave at as many riders as i see.

if they wave back cool if not cool. i ride gold wing due to they are the most reliable bikes on the planet. with the miles i ride they have to be. even the v-45 sabre was

very reliable but nowhere near as comfy.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

I tend to steer clear of the websites that do a lot of bashing just because your not a hooligan on a pocket rocket,I like this site , ok theres a fair bit of ribbing but its all in fun ( mostly).I bought my GW cos I wanted a big comfy tourer that would be fairly reliable and I have alwaysliked the looks of the 1500Wing ,smartest thing I ever did.I continue to hang around on this site because of the friendly nature and the VAST array of knowledge on tap :cool::cool:

Eric

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Seems like all us that own older wings, would just love to have a new 1800,but we adore what we have.

It's true that ALL wings have thier "gremlins", but we work em out here in our forum and cheer when someone solves a problem.

I love this place hands down! jimsjinx
I recently went down a local dealer to look at Shadow's for my wife at the dealers. While there she asked if I would be interested in a newer Goldwing...... I was tempted .. I sat on it and dreamed of the twsited road that was ahead :cooldj:... but in the end I thought of the "simplicity of my GL1200I :(... I don't think I could look her in the eye if she found out I was looking at a newer model :D... I like my older wing.... I know too well of the gremlin that lives inside her transmission. ((in the shop twice now within 3 months.... I think that Gremlin Bell needs to be replaced)... :gunner2::headbanger:

This forum has been the most freindly and informative place I have found...

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

At 44 years of age, this last summer I purchased my first bike. 81 GL 1100 standard.

Trust you me it has had some issues. I have always wanted to buy a Harley and just cant' afford it, so I figured I would buy this bike. After about 5 months of riding it, I hated it because it isn't as flashy as others bikes, but I have fallen in love with it. Even in the future if I do purchase a Harley, I don't see getting rid of this one. All the guys on this sight have been awsome. I have been on other sights where everyone is always gripeing about something of another. I went on a road trip 2 months ago 1,000 miles. Rogersvill Tenn., Indianapolis Ind., Columbus OH., and on the way back driving done the highway with no windshield or nothing getting the crap beat out of me by the wind, a guy comes from behind me on an 08 1800 ...he comes up from my left at a high rate of speed, pulls in behind me, then pulls up on my right, slows down looks at my oldwing and gives me a big thumbs up and That's what it is all about.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

I ride because I love it. I ride a Goldwing also because I love them. Over the years I have owned several different Motorcycles but by far the most comfortable and dependable have been Honda's. I have a lot of friends who own Harley's and for the most of them it is a status symbol several are in clubs where nearly all own Harley's. But I don't hold that against them lol. I wave at all bikers even the small ones as long as they have the wind in their face even on a scooter we have something in common. Yes I would love to have a new wing but for now my 95 is great.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

Roryrob wrote:
After having purchased my latest Wing, an '05/ABS, I have been on another GL site, which deals with only GL1800s. It seems that they are always complaining about how Honda has not added much to the 1800 or not enough to tempt them to buy the newest, an '09 model. I find it somewhat strange because here on this site, we extole the virtues of the Wing. Every model run is different than the last and is improved. I'm on my 3rd and I can say that all three are great bikes. It seems that within our ranks there has grown a social club atmosphere and one-upsmenship is the protocol. I thought that we ride these bikes because we love to ride and these bikes, in particular offer the most comfort and versatility. I don't really care what Honda comes out with next because I love my '05 1800 and know that I will be riding it for a long long time. By the way, I still have my GL1200I and don't know if I could part with it either.

Roryrob document.write('/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/bat.gif');
Interesting.......because I sometimes lurk on the sight you may be referring to. I think I've got a grand total of around 23posts. It doesn't strike me as a forum that's as much fun as this one.

I find that the attraction with this forum is the fact that there are all models of goldwing. Also nice is that when I ask stupid questions (not stupid to me) I don't get slammed or told to use the search function.

Last but not least, I've never seen them make fun of the 1800 headlights they way they do here.

I also have a 2005/ABS. Love the bike.:waving:

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

Roryrob I hope you continue to hang your helmet here when your not out riding . I admire the adversity of this big family . Lots of truly wonderrful folks here . Enjoy the ride my friend .

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

MADDOG355 wrote:
....That left a bad taste in my mouth sence I had rode with Harley guys when I was a teen on a KE100 and was very well treated by them....
You know why don't you, so you could pick up the pieces they left behind? Anyway they needed a reliable ride to get them home.

Says he, ducking and grinning,

You ride what you ride, I used to think a lot of big bike riders were a bit on the snobby side but realised when you are riding on say the Wing you need all your hands on the bars and let someone else do the waving. It's too easy to get into trouble real quick on these things. My experience of Harleys has been limited to helping guys scratching their heads on the side of the road...

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Thats intersting about the Goldwing snobs, around here it's not like that. Most of the bikes going buy with thier nose in the air are Harleys. Makes no difference to me. I figure if you are enjoying yourself you are going to be friendly and waive. It's like my Grandson says, "that person has his cranky pants on".:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Everyone just needs to lighten up and ride for enjoyment who cares what the other guy wants to ride. It's funny here in Wisconsin, go buy a bar and you'll see a bunch of Harleys parked out front, go by a restaurant and you'll see two or three Wings in the parking lot. Not sure what that means, but I tend to be weary of Harleys that are bar hoping.:action:

Oneguy I knowtold mehis bike has an auto-pilot that takes over after the third bar. :gunhead:

To each his own.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

Funny thing 3rdwing, I went on a 250 mile ride today and almost all the Harley riders waved, more than usual anyway.If I wave and they don't, while I still have my hand out I show the finger of indignation. So what, they can't catch me.
All the wing riders waved enthusiastically except 3 1800s in a group. Don't know what was wrong with them.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

when the 1800 or next model number comes standardwith a porta potty under the seat ill get one, after all i dont need all the fancy stuff just the asthetics. i get that from my 1100a, love the look and i gettons of complements on it. what wouldpush me over the edge to get a1800 would be the functionality of a porta potty, and if it could burn that as fuel WOW lol :cool: NOW THATS CONVIENENCE :cheeky1:

in all seriousness i love all bikes, its the rider that makes it a good experience or not, not the bike...

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Finger of indignation Davogd430...

I vote people #1 now and again myself, but for thesome of the Harley riders,I just figure they have a nasty headache from all that noise. Seriously though why cant we all just get along.:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.