Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Honda Gold Wing Quad from Hannigan Motorsports by Paul Crowe - "The Kneeslider" on Motorcycle Accessories, Motorcycle Builders, Three Wheel Motor Vehicles

How about a Honda Gold Wing quad? Dave Hannigan just introduced a 2 wheel front end to replace the standard Gold Wing’s single front wheel, which, when added to the usual trike setup gives you one large and luxurious quad.
I talked to Dave Hannigan of Hannigan Motorsports recently about what he calls his HRT Roadster. Dave sells quite a few Gold Wing trikes of the usual configuration but he just introduced a kit to add a two wheel front end to a Honda Gold Wing GL1800. It’s a well engineered setup that looks like it would be a hoot to drive.
One of the first questions I had for Dave was about whether it was legal on the road and he told me something I wasn’t aware of, at least 5 states currently tag quads for road use, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota, all states with lots of wide open spaces and a long way from Washington, D.C. If companies keep offering well designed vehicles like these and some states will license them, why not? Dan does sell this outfit with the disclaimer that should the government decide it will not allow them on the road, he’s not liable which is understandable.
Dan knows Keith Smith of GG Quad North America who imports the BMW based machine and he told me how the two of them had a lively ride down the road when Keith came by for a visit, and Keith thought the HRT Roadster really handled well, much better than he had expected, especially when you consider the size.
Although the front end could be put on the front of a standard Gold Wing to create a reverse trike and get around any legal issues, they found the position of the wheels created a slightly unstable setup which they still have to work on a bit so for now, the quad is the only option. The Can Am Spyder, in comparison, has the front wheels much further back compared to this setup and Dave is considering several ideas to get everything right.
Although Hannigan Motorsports will sell you this kit to install yourself they much prefer to sell the whole rig assembled, or if you insist on doing your own work, they’ll provide the space for you to do it under their supervision.
The complete rig out the door is around $42,000, which, considering the price of the Gold Wing and all of the trike and front end pieces plus installation, sounds about right.
I think it looks pretty interesting and I would definitely like to take it for a run through some twisty roads to see how it handles, the engine would certainly have the power, this could be a fun ride.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

It couldn't be licensed here in SC. Even the dimmest cop can count to 4. Jay

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
imported post

I saw one of those at the 2007 Wings Over the Smokies in N. Carolina. Pretty neat set-up although I didn't realize that it was not road legal?? Does anyone know why that is??

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
imported post

SOMEBODY GIVE ME 42,000 BETWEEN THAT AND THE STALLION.WOW...

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,631 Posts
imported post

For $42,000 dollars, I better get something a lot more useful than a bike wannabe.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
imported post

It wouldn't be a legal motorcycle in most states because it has 4 wheels, like a car, but only has the safety gear of a motorcycle, no wipers etc. This means it won't pass safety inspection for a car. I say chose which end to double and leave the other alone (I'd do the front because it should handle better(I think)).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.