Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I think I spoke too soon when I said the 1500 was easier to get to the timing belts than the 1200. I based that on not having to drain down the cooling system and taking the seat and top cover off. I was hearing a little tickety-tickey noise at times yesterday that sounded like it might have been coming front the front of the engine so today since it's raining I pulled off the timing belt cover. Wouldn't be too bad it it weren't for that air duct tube. After getting the cover off I found the belts a bit too loose. I pulled the two idlers out to take a look at them and now find myself in a quandary as to whether to replace them. I think I better since there is a minute bit of free play when you try to rock them on the shaft and I can hear a little sound, not much, but some when I spin them. Sometimes PMs can get obsessive.

I must say the 1200 was made better, cast front covers and cast cam sprockets compared to the plastic cover and stamped cam sprockets on the 1500. Just looking at the sprockets makes you think the 1200's would treat the belt better.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I think that's called progress! Honda probably want to save weight with more plastic on the later engine. :)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

just remember what dustin hoffman was told in the graduate.... PLASTICS.....

love my 1200, had an eml sidecar two kids (and spouse) and pulled a trailer... always had enough power

now that the kids are grown wife drives the 1200 with a motorvation spyder www.motorvation.com

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Now you know why I won't give up my 1200.... Ain't gonna happin.....;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.