Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,
I have a question about radio antennas. I have a antenna hooked up for the CB on the right rear luggage rack. On the left side of the luggage rack is a mount with three wires attached, the antenna is broken off; I am assumming this is my radio antenna. Is this the typical setup?

Does anyone have a resource for a new antenna?

Thanks, Chuck

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

No, that isn't the typical setup. The typical setup for the 1100's uses a dual purpose antenna that feeds both the radio and cb signals to an antenna splitter with a single cable normally found under the left fairing pocket or cassette player.

See if you can post a couple of pics of both antenna's and their connections.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

If it's the same as my 82 Aspy, and I believe that it is, the original setup is that the CB and radio share the same antenna, and there is a splitter box inside the fairing (on the left hand side, right below the pocket) that splits the single antenna to the CB and the radio. The factory antenna mounts on the right side of the bike at the back.

However...some owners buy a second antenna mount (they're reasonably cheap) and mount it on the left side, then mount two antennas - one for CB, one for the radio, and bypass the splitter box.

After breaking my antenna off in a bonehead close-the-garage-door-on-it move, I bought this replacement antenna online at Sierra Electronics. It works great for me.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Ok here are a couple of pictures. The first is the back of the bike, cb antenna on the right, and the object in question is on the left. (See the second picture in the post below)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The Lake wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:
Ok here are a couple of pictures. The first is the back of the bike, cb antenna on the right, and the object in question is on the left.
Second picture

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The Lake wrote:
The Lake wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:
Ok here are a couple of pictures. The first is the back of the bike, cb antenna on the right, and the object in question is on the left.
Second picture
Well, this looks like it could've been a push to talk switch for the cb by use of the passenger. the antenna appears to be just a radio antenna and not for the cb. I can't see if it has a coil about halfway up like the stock antenna has.

In this pic of my bike you can see the stock antenna which I have mounted on the left side of the bike and the cb antenna I mounted on the right side. Notice the coil on the stock antenna.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The Lake wrote:
The Lake wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:
Second picture
Have you traced the wires on this to see where they go? And what they may be hooked to?

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:

Well, this looks like it could've been a push to talk switch for the cb by use of the passenger. the antenna appears to be just a radio antenna and not for the cb. I can't see if it has a coil about halfway up like the stock antenna has.
It's definitely the remains of a switch, but it's not a push to talk switch. It's a DPDT toggle switch, on which the toggle (the handle) has been broken off.

I'm curious as to what it's hooked up to do. Follow the wires that are soldered to it, and see where they run.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I've added a second antenna to the 1200 for the ipod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.